Pool pipe = doggie chew toy?

Jun 13, 2010
Yup!

Saw a little drip and some deformed plastic...arrrgh! Went to the hardware store looking for a replacement. I found a sump pump exhaust pipe kit. It had 24ft of pipe, with divisions every 6 ft where you could cut it with a knife and have a smooth sealing surface for each side of the cut.

Then I noticed the color....black! Instant solar pool heater! Bought 2 sections of the pipe {$12 ea}, some 1 1/4 pipe to make unions and some hose clamps. Laid out a quick frame of 2X4s, plumbed everything up and laid an old full length storm door glass on top.

I did have to add an o-ring at the pool connection, selected one that fit into a groove in the pipe right at the cutting point, and kept the hose clamp close to that groove.

My pool is partially shaded, so heat gain on its own WAS slow. Disconnected yesterday, pool is warmer than I like!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.