Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pipe = doggie chew toy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pipe = doggie chew toy?

Yup!

Saw a little drip and some deformed plastic...arrrgh! Went to the hardware store looking for a replacement. I found a sump pump exhaust pipe kit. It had 24ft of pipe, with divisions every 6 ft where you could cut it with a knife and have a smooth sealing surface for each side of the cut.

Then I noticed the color....black! Instant solar pool heater! Bought 2 sections of the pipe {$12 ea}, some 1 1/4 pipe to make unions and some hose clamps. Laid out a quick frame of 2X4s, plumbed everything up and laid an old full length storm door glass on top.

I did have to add an o-ring at the pool connection, selected one that fit into a groove in the pipe right at the cutting point, and kept the hose clamp close to that groove.

My pool is partially shaded, so heat gain on its own WAS slow. Disconnected yesterday, pool is warmer than I like!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pipe = doggie chew toy?

My neighbour's dog SHREDDED my lines going to my solar panels on day - in an unrelated story - he's dead now.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hard PVC would take care of this problem as well.

Glad we did ours with it as my dog is a chewer too.

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you use PVC pipe on an Intex Easy Set? Seems like it needs the flexibility.

Probably should put together a signature line with a description of my noob rig, eh?

5. Back To Top    #5

yes to both items.

As I recall there is actually thread on here somewhere about what parts you need.

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24