Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question from the Pool School...

1. Back To Top    #1

Question from the Pool School...

I just finished reading through the Pool School and I had a question about one statement. On the Definitions and Abbreviations page under dichlor and trichlor is the following line:

"Causes CYA to rise with continued use so it is not a good choice for those with cartridge filters or in climates [...]"

Why are cartridge filters explicitly called out there? I couldn't find any other such reference to explain that in the entire school. I have a cartridge filter, so I'm curious about what makes it unique in relation to CYA.
    Shasta IGP - ~13,000 gal. - Pebbletec - Spa - Waterfall - Cartridge - Propane - Intellichlor SWG - VS-3050 - Easytouch - fiber optics

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question from the Pool School...

Cartridge filters don't get backflushed. Sand and DE do, so they can count on losing several hundred gallons of saturated water periodically, to be replaced with fresh water, which lowers the CYA.

With a cartridge filter it just keeps on growing
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question from the Pool School...

Ah, now that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
    Shasta IGP - ~13,000 gal. - Pebbletec - Spa - Waterfall - Cartridge - Propane - Intellichlor SWG - VS-3050 - Easytouch - fiber optics