Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideal pump schedule

1. Back To Top    #1
    Nashville, TN

Ideal pump schedule

What sort of schedule is everyone running their pumps on. Right now I have it running 6 on 6 off twice a day. Have you found shorter more frequent cycles more effective? Maybe a shorter overall run time...Like 4 or 6 on 3 times a day? Thanks.
    24' Above Ground
    1.5HP Waterway Pump
    Hayward 120sq/ft Canister Filter
    Soon to be abandoned AquaSmart system in favor of the BBB system.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Ideal pump schedule

Having the pump run twice, or three times, a day is good. The total amount of run time depends on the relative size of your pump and your pool, and thus varies dramatically from pool to pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Forest Hill, MD

I run about 9hrs/day. Run mostly overnight to gain benefit of "time of use" electrical rates (about 1/3 of peak hour rates), plus about 1 hour at about 1pm to stir up the water when top layer is vastly warmer thanks to the sun.
    Brian L

35K gal 36 yr old Gunite disaster (I mean pool)

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

I have been running mine for 8 hours a day lately. On at 12:30 p.m. and off at 8:30 p.m. I add chemicals around 7:00 p.m. so this allows for some good circulation time after things have been added before it shuts off for the night.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

Mine is running from 9 a.m. to 6:30 pm. It has full sun all day up until 5 p.m. Just to give you an idea.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!