Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time shocking - question

1. Back To Top    #1

First time shocking - question

Ok, between 12 inches of rain, a 6 day vacation where I accidently left the swg setting too low (error while testing settings), and the lawn guy getting fertilizer in the pool, my FC got down to 1. Not sure how long it was at 1, and it could have gone lower, but know it only takes a day or less, so I shocked the pool.

Overnight FC loss was 1.5, but CC was 0. I thought you had to have a CC greater than 0 if you have a overnight FC loss.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time shocking - question

No, there doesn't need to be any CC when you have algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. That was not clear, at least to me. As a follow up question... if tonight I'm at shock level - say 28, and tomorrow I measure 26, do I really need to bring it back up to 28, or can I hope that since there was only a 2 FC loss overnight that 26 is probably sufficient to do the job and I can just test again the next night cycle?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, that would be alright. Relatively small differences, like 26 instead of 28 don't make much difference. You may lose much more chlorine during the day, so you will probably need to add chlorine the next evening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School