Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My TA is dropping but the PH remains the same

1. Back To Top    #1

My TA is dropping but the PH remains the same

My TA has dropped from 90 to 80 but my pH has remained steady at 7.5

Should I be trying at all to bring my TA back up to the 90-100 range or just let it be unless the pH goes down too?
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: My TA is dropping but the PH remains the same

Accuracy on the TA test is +- 10ppm so let it ride until you can make an adjustment you can detect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TA contributes to Calcite Saturation Index (CSI) which is a measure of whether your water is likely to cause scaling, is likely to cause etching, or is balanced. TA can be adjusted to keep your CSI in range (e.g. to offset high CH)

High TA causes upward pressure on pH. TA can be adjusted to minimize pH drift.

To answer the question where your TA should be we need a full set of test results, but there is no reason to adjust TA just for the sake of getting it to a certain number.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

TA shouldn't drop unless you add acid. Are you using trichlor tabs? I see a tab feeder in your signature. They will slowly drop pH and TA both. As long as pH is stable, I wouldn't change your TA.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    To answer the question where your TA should be we need a full set of test results, but there is no reason to adjust TA just for the sake of getting it to a certain number.
    FC - 9
    CC - .5
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 80
    CH - 260
    CYA - 75
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you still using tablets?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Trichlor will constantly lower the PH a fair bit and the TA a little. Something, most likely aeration, is raising the PH back up. However aeration doesn't raise the TA, so TA will fall slowly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School