Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump everyday?

1. Back To Top    #1

Central NJ

pump everyday?

I'm in the northeast, and now it usually is too cool for the pool. I was wondering, can I get my FC up a couple of ppm above what my cya calls for (cya 60) and then not run the pump until my FC falls back to the minimum, which is usually three days? Of course once, summer hits. I will run it every day. What do you think?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Massachusetts

Re: pump everyday?

I wouldnt do that. You really need to turn the water over through the filter at least once a day.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: pump everyday?

I don't close the pool in the winter but I do reduce the runtime to about 1/2 turn per day and it seems to work out ok. However, that is with fairly cold water of <65 degrees. With warmer water you may need to have a bit more turnover to prevent dead spots where algae might grow so might need to experiment some. However, I wouldn't skip days because I think you would be asking for trouble.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner