Above ground pool fencing

Jun 3, 2010
Due to our insurance requiements, we have to install a security fence around our pool. We have a 18 round above ground. I have been looking into the fencing that attached to the sides of your pool with the fence to ladder connector. Does anyone have experience with this, and can any ladder be attached using these connections?

Not sure what your budget is, but you can buy a safety fence and small deck combo as you are talikng about for about 2K. The particular model I have seen comes with a resin ladder that folds down from the deck, so you can trash your "A"frame ladder. I know that Nationalpoolwholesalers.com has them. I talk about them alot on this sight and they don't pay me for mentioning them, but that's where I have found the best deals. Thier shipping is free too. A deck,safetyfence combo for your size pool is $1754.97.

Welcome to TFP...did the insurance company happen to give you the specific requirements? Often times they are not clear or distinguish between inground and above ground pools. It is rare that the insurance co would require anything more than what is deemed to be in compliance with your town/county code.

interesting...neither do we, but the 52" high pool wall counts as a barrier in our town/state. Although I have railing on the deck, my pool does not require addional railing. In most cases all you need is a locable folding ladder, but juridisdiction requirements may vary. I would ask you Ins co. to specifically tell you what the requirement is.

Well, I don't mean to get this over the wrong way, but I am a property and casualty insurance agent. We require "any" water no matter the wall height to be fenced. The saftey fences you see on the internet sites for above grounds will suffice, as a fence is merely a way of telling people to keep out. You cannot prevent anyone from hopping your fence around an inground or climbing over your safety fence, but having a fence will let your insurance company know you are doing your part to prevent an accident or worse. Insurance Companies do not fall in line with county/city codes. Your agent/inspector is trying to protect you and their investment in issuing you a policy. Insurance is a risk both parties take. If you were to never file a claim with your homeowners insurance company, then you would say you have wasted a lot of $$ over the years. If they pay a liability claim on your behalf due to an accidental drowning or another type of accident the $$ you have paid in premiums will come no where near the amount your carrier will have to pay as liability claims usually max out the limit on the policy. Most homeowners insurance policies carry a minimum of $100K in liability. The fence is just an underwriting guideline. Farmers used to be the only property insurer that would allow a swimming pool without a fence, but in Jan of 2009 they set the requirement. A fence is a good idea to protect your property. If your swimming pool is inground and not fenced, or above ground with no safety fence around the rail, then your insurance company has either not inspected (usually happens at the time the policy is issued and every three years after that) or they don't know you have installed a pool at all. For me, the fence just gives me a little peace of mind too.

Not taken in the wrong way at all...but just trying to understand why the extra requirement? If my deck is 48" high with a 36" railing and a locked self closing 48" gate...attached to a pool that has a 52" wall height, I theoretically have a 52" barrier all the way around the pool water, with a pool alarm to boot. Here is a link to my pool...I would appreciate your input as I may have to call my agent and make sure my pool would be covered, god forbid there was an accident...thanks

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/?action=view&current=IMG_1345.jpg&newest=1

Please excuse the old pic...this was before landscaping, etc...but you get the idea and was good enough to pass NYS saftey inspection

You should show this to your agent and let him advise you on what should be done. It's a beautiful set up, and adding more fencing could turn into an eyesore and a budget buster. The three carriers I represent: Farmers, Liberty Mutual, and Travelers will require a safety fence around the railing that is not surrounded by the deck. Your agent will be able to give you the best advice as for what your particular carrier requires. I have had no pool claims in my 12 years, but I have heard stories of children finding a way up that wall (bucket, chair...) and the worse happens. Of corse, in my industry, the stories are always grim.

will do...most agp's have a similar set-up in this area, so I would be surprised if I need the additional fence, but I will certainly check. I hear you on kids trying to get in, but it would be no easier to get my pool than If had a 4ft fence around a inground pool...so I'm stumped :scratch: why the insurance co's you mentioned would have this addt'l requirement for agp's. I reported the pool to my agent last year (allstate)...but no fence requirement was brought up, beyond what is required by code...but worth double checking...thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nor really sure why they are sticklers with water. But I am sure that they set and change their guidelines based on claim statistics. They even want an intex fenced somehow. I used to work for Nationwide who would not write a home with a pond on the property. If you lived on the lake and had a homeowners association it was okay, but a small fishing pond was not okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.