Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frogpocalypse and "Critter Skimmer"

1. Back To Top    #1

Frogpocalypse and "Critter Skimmer"

Has anyone ever used a product called "Critter Skimmer" which is a skimmer lid replacement that has a helical ramp, allowing frogs and small critters to get safely out of a skimmer basket? Our pool is only a month old, and we have been finding a couple frogs a week in our baskets. Given that they are 1) living things and 2) do yeoman's work eating bugs that I don't like, I'd like to see if we can save them.

A quick search of TFP revealed no reviews, so I thought I'd ask! Here's the URL:

http://www.critterskimmer.com/Critte...mer_Story.html
    25' x 37' freeform, 22,000 gallon saltwater, 3'6" to 6'6" deep, including baja shelf and benches, 120 ft EP Henry retaining wall
    Pentair equipment (CC420 cartridge filter, VS-3050 variable speed pump, IC 60 salt cell, EasyTouch), 200 sq ft pool house
    View our Pool Build - View our Pool House Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frogpocalypse and "Critter Skimmer"

I like the concept of it and would probably try it but we don't have frogs getting in the pool (I guess the pond next door is enticement enough). I do remember a review of it (or something similar) but can't remember where now, possibly Gardenweb??
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, @Bama. We went ahead and got two via Amazon. They've been in for two days and so far...no dead frogs. We'll know their effectiveness for sure after a week that includes a good downpour, as that's when they start a-jumping.

They seem like they are well made (better than i expected) though they fit slightly loosely in my Hayward skimmers. Not a major flaw, I'd just like them to fit a little tighter.
    25' x 37' freeform, 22,000 gallon saltwater, 3'6" to 6'6" deep, including baja shelf and benches, 120 ft EP Henry retaining wall
    Pentair equipment (CC420 cartridge filter, VS-3050 variable speed pump, IC 60 salt cell, EasyTouch), 200 sq ft pool house

4. Back To Top    #4

Let us know how they work out. I usually do a skimmer check first thing in the morning to rescue any that have foud their way into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BobinBaltimore
    Thanks, @Bama. We went ahead and got two via Amazon. They've been in for two days and so far...no dead frogs. We'll know their effectiveness for sure after a week that includes a good downpour, as that's when they start a-jumping.

They seem like they are well made (better than i expected) though they fit slightly loosely in my Hayward skimmers. Not a major flaw, I'd just like them to fit a little tighter.
    Great idea! thanks for posting. I'll order those for sure.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Again today, no dead critters at all. I'll report back in a week or so and let everyone know if these have solved the issue.

7. Back To Top    #7

Because of my specific skimmers shapes (not standard), I had to be creative and find a different solution to save the frogs.
    I've used a Kevlar net (used to repair wall's crack) with 1/2" squares size and put it in front of the skimmers.
    In my situation works perfectly as I do not have trees next to the swimming pool and very few leaves falls in.
    Since then no more dead frogs in the skimmers, less work for me in order to shock and my daughter's really happy for saving them
    33x15 (17000 gallons) feet http://www.flickr.com/photos/4312999...7622362656171/
    Magiline Magiclassic http://www.swimming-pools-magiline.com/
    SWG Compu-Pool CPSC-36 http://www.compupool.com.au/product/..._cleaning.html
    PH Control through Muriatic Acid

8. Back To Top    #8

Final post: after two weeks and two good rain storms: not a single dead critter in my skimmers, frog or otherwise. I'd call this product a success, at least in my circumstance.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BobinBaltimore
    Final post: after two weeks and two good rain storms: not a single dead critter in my skimmers, frog or otherwise. I'd call this product a success, at least in my circumstance.
    Still happy?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, While we occasionally have a live frog or two in the skimmers, it is rare. The ones that can't use the ramp to get out (too big) seem to use it to rest. I don't think we've had a dead frog in two years.

11. Back To Top    #11

Got my Critter Skimmer lid, does your "lily pad" touch or go into the water?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

12. Back To Top    #12

Definitely hangs in the water.