Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor producing too much chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellichlor producing too much chlorine?

Hello! We got a new Intellichlor cell at the start of the season (IC40), and whereas the last cell seemed perfect (same model, it's just that the PB messed up and the threads got glued and then stripped), this cell seems a little 'off.'
    For one thing, the lights on it show a lower reading than when I test with the salt strips...so it may say our salt is 'Low' when I'm testing that it's actually fine with the strips.
    Secondly, when running my pump (and therefore my cell) only 9 hours/day, my chlorine is creeping up to 4ppm. This is with the cell on 20%.
    Is there a way to 'back the cell down' further, or should I just manually turn the cell off for a few hours each cycle?
    thanks! Todd
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intellichlor producing too much chlorine?

Question- How long has the cell been installed. Reason- My cell read low salt for the first week or so and then balanced. Also your pool size would indicate that your cell doesn't have to work very hard to produce enough chlorine to work well. I have a 19,000 gallon pool and run it at 40% and have a stable FC of 4.5.

Do you have an automation system that allows you to adjust your output more incrementally? My system allows me to adjust by a single percentage, BUT it doesn't seem to work right. I drop my percent to 37% and my FC would drop down into the danger range (FC high 2's)
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a Hayward/Goldline automation system you can set the SWG setting to specific percentages, but from the buttons on the unit you can only set it to 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%.

Having FC at 4 isn't a problem if that is as far as you can turn it down. As bather load and water temperature increase the FC level will come down a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

OK thanks very much! I do just have the 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 buttons... but we haven't had much bather load, so I think it should stay down once all the hellions, I mean, friends' children start coming over.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/