Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't keep any cl

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't keep any cl

Thanks to all on this board for all the help and ideas. I just wanted to post my little problem ans see if you all agree with my course of action.

Last year I really got my pool dialed in, I was running the pump for 6 hours, 3 in the morning and 3 at night, with my swcg at 40%. I always had fc of 8 or better and all I ever added to my pool was hcl as nessesary to control ph and 1lbs of stablizer.
    This was with about 70-80% sunlight.

Now this year I had some trees cut down next door and this allows 100% sun light.
    I have increased my swcg to 80% and now run 4 hours in the am and 4 hours in the pm, also put a total of 2 lbs of stabiliser, I can barely hold 1 fc and sometimes 0
    17,000 gallon IG Humpback Kidney
    333k Sta-Rite Max-e-therm Heater
    Sta-Rite Modular Filter
    Intellichlor IC-40
    Awesome Tiki Bar!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't keep any cl

2lbs of CYA would only raise your CYA by 10ppm. For a SWCG, you probably need to be running at 70-80ppm, which would take as much as 12 more pounds depending on where your CYA was at the start of the season.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

rotax,

What JohnT said....

Plus, how does your water look? I suspect you might need to shock? Have you done the overnight FC loss test found in Pool School?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes thank you, I proceeded with a shock, and also added another 4 lbs of cya, I had mistaken, I had previously added 8 lbs not 2lbs. I suspect not having quite enough cya added with my swcg not being able to keep up with my chlorine demand. Now that I have shocked it, everything should stay in shape, Thanks Jesse
    17,000 gallon IG Humpback Kidney
    333k Sta-Rite Max-e-therm Heater
    Sta-Rite Modular Filter
    Intellichlor IC-40
    Awesome Tiki Bar!!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jesse,
    If you could post a set of test numbers, we could better advise you with your situation. Right now, the best anyone can do is guess.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

Believe it or not.........I had the same issue when I added my SWG a few months ago, it just wouldn't make enough chlorine. I was told phosphates were the problem, used some phosphate remover, got phosphates to zero and chlorine levels have been no problem to maintain since then!
    13,900 gallon exposed aggregate pool, DE filter, 1.5 hp pump, 2 waterfalls, Navigator pool cleaner. Pool is screened in.