Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IG pool under construction - spa jet recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

IG pool under construction - spa jet recommendations?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and about to be new to pool ownership as well.
    In fact I bought all of my pool equipment yesterday, which enabled me to complete my signature for this group!

Of course it has been a blast watching it all come together.
    All of the stone was delivered yesterday, and the stonework will begin tomorrow (walls first - my stone mason
    said he wants to begin with the waterline tile which is still a week from being delivered).

Here is a shot of the project in its current state:

Now for my question: Does anyone have any experience with some of the other options available for spa jets? I'm referring to the rotating jets, or multi-port fittings. We are considering doing something a little different with the 6 spa jets.

I have already learned a lot lurking on this site, and I'm planning on starting right out of the gate with the BBB method.

Thanks!

SF
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IG pool under construction - spa jet recommendations?

SF, welcome to TFP!
    I have no clue about spa jets, so...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Your spa looks alot like mine (pool build....Midlothian Tx). We are going with Waterway plastics. You can change them out to what ever style suits you.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by CLRFXR
    Your spa looks alot like mine (pool build....Midlothian Tx). We are going with Waterway plastics. You can change them out to what ever style suits you.
    I have the same question. Our builder uses waterway too, but since you have to start somewhere, which type is preferred?

Kelly
    10K IG, Gunite with Wet Edge "Midnight Ocean" pebble surface, with spa, tanning shelf, and fountain. Pentair Intellibrite LED pool and spa lights. Rola-Chem chlorine pump (and tank), Pentair DE "Quad 80" cartridge filter, 400K BTU gas heater, VF Whisperflo, and Legend Pressure Side Cleaner with Pentair booster pump. Using TFTestKit.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you go with the fancier jets, keep in mind that many require 25 GPM per jet which is a total of 150 GPM and probably cannot be handled well with a single pump or a single plumbing loop unless it is 3". There have been too many reports of weak jets on this and other forums because both the plumbing and pump where not properly sized for the jets.

I can't tell what your setup is but it looks like you have only a 1 HP for the jets but 2.5 HP for circulation? You want the larger pump for the jets and the smaller with two speed for circulation. Also, what size plumbing do you have for the jets and is it all on a single loop?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

There are 6 spa jets all on a single loop. The spa pump is actually 1.5 hp. The equipment pad is actually quite close to the spa (approx. 30'), so at
    15 GPM I'll be OK - might have to stay away from the 25 GPM jets though.

Thanks for the info Mark!

SF
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

7. Back To Top    #7

So why do you have a 2.5 HP 2-speed?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Mark,

The reason I have a 2.5 HP 2-speed pump is because I found TFP too late!

It is completely obvious to me now that this pump is WAY too much for my pool.
    Also, you were right - the 1.25 HP spa pump I bought does not drive all of the spa jets sufficiently.

So...

I am having the pumps switched out. I will use the 1.25 HP for my main pump, and the 2.5 HP for my spa jets. The only downside
    is I spent money on a two-speed pump which I will now likely never use the lower speed.
    Still, this seems like a workable solution for me.

The 2 speed pump made for a nice cascade spillover when it was on low speed. When it was on high speed, it was like Niagra Falls.

I'm curious as to what sort of a spillover flow I am going to get out of the 1.25 HP pump - I hope it is more of a gentle cascade.