Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ascorbic setback

1. Back To Top    #1

ascorbic setback

Did a very successful ascorbic treatment a couple of weeks ago, but had a major setback.

Chlorine levels have been hard to raise since the treatment; since 2 weeks had passed and I was getting traces of algae in the corners of the pool I tried to raise the chlorine a bit more aggressively; not a full-blown shock, but obviously too much…

Anyhow, woke up this morning and the water had turned a metallic green: does this mean the iron has dropped out of solution?

Is it sufficient to add (lots of) Metal Free at this stage, or do I need to let the chlorine to fall back to zero and start the whole process again?

Thanks!

Chris
    inground 38000 gal, 20' x 40' deep end with half hexagon shallow end along the 40
    Hayward DE filter; Hayward Pump; vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ascorbic setback

As long as there isn't any staining of the pool surface, all you need to do is to add more sequestrant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

just had the water tested - they say the metal readings are fine. Is it possible that the iron can color the whole pool green and not show up in a test?

they just said the phosphate levels are sky high and it must be algae - it's not algae!!!
    inground 38000 gal, 20' x 40' deep end with half hexagon shallow end along the 40

4. Back To Top    #4

When the iron is turning the water a clear transparent green it won't show up on the test. If the water is murky or cloudy it is probably algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

brilliant - that's what i needed to know. The water is really quite clear. I sent my father-in-law to the pool store to get a test and buy the sequestrant and they didn't want him to spend $50 when they were reading no iron - they had good intentions but inferior knowledge!

thanks for the amazingly prompt replies!