High Pressure with Solar Panel

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
I have a sungrabber solar panel for an aboveground pool and I noticed my DE filter pressure went from about 12 to 20 when I added the panel in the loop. Should I be concerned? Or should I find a dedicated pump just to move the heated water, and stay with the main pump (1 hp) to do the filtering?

I also notice the flexible hoses "stretching" because of the increase in pressure. I also have a manual bypass valve assembly to divert the water when I do not want the panels to heat the pool. That consists of two pentair 3 way valves and some rigid pvc pipe and elbows. A few turns that may be increasing the pressure too.

Thanks

Not sure if you have the AG or IG panels.

Apparently I have the I/G panels and chose to hook them up this way.

Originally I had followed the Sungrabber instructions for connecting which has you hook them up one one side only, that was just not working out for me.

So here is how I have mine hooked up.

file.php

Edit: I just re-read your post...you have the AG panels (maybe)

Check and see if your panels have the stop disc halfway inside the header, if not just go ahead and connect them the way I have in the picture, they work well this way.

What size pump do you have? It's possible you may have too much flow for the panels, and you may need to bypass some of the water directly to the return so only a part of the water flows through the panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.