Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Pressure with Solar Panel

1. Back To Top    #1

High Pressure with Solar Panel

I have a sungrabber solar panel for an aboveground pool and I noticed my DE filter pressure went from about 12 to 20 when I added the panel in the loop. Should I be concerned? Or should I find a dedicated pump just to move the heated water, and stay with the main pump (1 hp) to do the filtering?

I also notice the flexible hoses "stretching" because of the increase in pressure. I also have a manual bypass valve assembly to divert the water when I do not want the panels to heat the pool. That consists of two pentair 3 way valves and some rigid pvc pipe and elbows. A few turns that may be increasing the pressure too.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central, CT

Re: High Pressure with Solar Panel

Not sure if you have the AG or IG panels.

Apparently I have the I/G panels and chose to hook them up this way.

Originally I had followed the Sungrabber instructions for connecting which has you hook them up one one side only, that was just not working out for me.

So here is how I have mine hooked up.

Edit: I just re-read your have the AG panels (maybe)

Check and see if your panels have the stop disc halfway inside the header, if not just go ahead and connect them the way I have in the picture, they work well this way.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes mine have the stop disc inside. I also have 2 2x20 panels for the size of the pool 24' round.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Indiana

What size pump do you have? It's possible you may have too much flow for the panels, and you may need to bypass some of the water directly to the return so only a part of the water flows through the panels.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 1 HP pump....That sounds like a good idea, maybe with the valve setup that I made I can bypass some and send some through the panels.

6. Back To Top    #6

12*24, 8,600 gallon vinyl inground, 12*18 H2otsun solar panel, Polaris ATV, 1hp Superpump

7. Back To Top    #7
    Silver Spring, MD

I agree with JohnT. With only two panels and a 1 HP pump, you need to allow some of the water to bypass the panels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School