Is Cleaning Filters On A Temprary Pool Worth It?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
My pool is one of the seasonals. Pool School mentions they are disposable but doesn't mention them in the cleaning filters section.

Econmically, the cartridge filters for my pool are about 5 bucks each at Walmart. The filter cleaner at the pool place lets me clean 4 filters per bottle, so net per month is a wash - I would clean 4 filters/month. I found a link online for soaking filters in bleach, and then muriatic acid but I am not crazy about having those chemicals around with curious kids. Do I need to do anything other than spray them out with a hose? I am also not crazy about adding them to the landfill every month. Can I recycle them?

Actually the disposable ones are not meant to be cleaned per the instructions for permanent filters. You can hose them off once a week but they should be replaced every 2 weeks, not cleaned with acid or tsp.

There are non-disposable type that can be repeatedly cleaned that are available for purchase online.

I just get two or three and rotate them. Seems to work for me. About once a week I check the filter and if it is gunky I hose it off with jet nozzle on hose. Let it dry. Put in a dry one I would have hosed off before. If one is especially dirty or slimy (ie, sunblock) I toss it and put a new one in the rotation.

crokett said:
My pool is one of the seasonals. Pool School mentions they are disposable but doesn't mention them in the cleaning filters section.

Econmically, the cartridge filters for my pool are about 5 bucks each at Walmart. The filter cleaner at the pool place lets me clean 4 filters per bottle, so net per month is a wash - I would clean 4 filters/month. I found a link online for soaking filters in bleach, and then muriatic acid but I am not crazy about having those chemicals around with curious kids. Do I need to do anything other than spray them out with a hose? I am also not crazy about adding them to the landfill every month. Can I recycle them?
What are you using in your pool?

Personally, I'd go heavy on the bleach if I had a small pool and a bunch of kids in it. If you're relying solely on pucks, it may work since you'll be draining it in the fall. But if you need to get a bunch of chlorine in the pool in a hurry, like a #2 accident, pinkeye outbreak, or algae bloom, those pucks won't dissolve fast enough. That leaves the shock powder, which I think might be more dangerous around kids if you have a bag of that laying around.

I use bleach as a chlorine source and the occasional muriatic acid to lower pH as needed, but those bottles stay in a cabinet in my locked shop. If I were cleaning filters, they would be in buckets outside, and I have one daughter that would absolutely do her best to pull the top off one of them. I'm not sure she could get the lid off a 5-gallon bucket, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.