Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is Cleaning Filters On A Temprary Pool Worth It?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is Cleaning Filters On A Temprary Pool Worth It?

My pool is one of the seasonals. Pool School mentions they are disposable but doesn't mention them in the cleaning filters section.

Econmically, the cartridge filters for my pool are about 5 bucks each at Walmart. The filter cleaner at the pool place lets me clean 4 filters per bottle, so net per month is a wash - I would clean 4 filters/month. I found a link online for soaking filters in bleach, and then muriatic acid but I am not crazy about having those chemicals around with curious kids. Do I need to do anything other than spray them out with a hose? I am also not crazy about adding them to the landfill every month. Can I recycle them?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is Cleaning Filters On A Temprary Pool Worth It?

Actually the disposable ones are not meant to be cleaned per the instructions for permanent filters. You can hose them off once a week but they should be replaced every 2 weeks, not cleaned with acid or tsp.

There are non-disposable type that can be repeatedly cleaned that are available for purchase online.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I just get two or three and rotate them. Seems to work for me. About once a week I check the filter and if it is gunky I hose it off with jet nozzle on hose. Let it dry. Put in a dry one I would have hosed off before. If one is especially dirty or slimy (ie, sunblock) I toss it and put a new one in the rotation.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

Not meant to be cleaned? I looked at one new one I have and it doesn't really say, but that makes the choice easier. I will just hose them off and toss them after a few uses. Thanks.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by crokett
    My pool is one of the seasonals. Pool School mentions they are disposable but doesn't mention them in the cleaning filters section.

Econmically, the cartridge filters for my pool are about 5 bucks each at Walmart. The filter cleaner at the pool place lets me clean 4 filters per bottle, so net per month is a wash - I would clean 4 filters/month. I found a link online for soaking filters in bleach, and then muriatic acid but I am not crazy about having those chemicals around with curious kids. Do I need to do anything other than spray them out with a hose? I am also not crazy about adding them to the landfill every month. Can I recycle them?
    What are you using in your pool?

Personally, I'd go heavy on the bleach if I had a small pool and a bunch of kids in it. If you're relying solely on pucks, it may work since you'll be draining it in the fall. But if you need to get a bunch of chlorine in the pool in a hurry, like a #2 accident, pinkeye outbreak, or algae bloom, those pucks won't dissolve fast enough. That leaves the shock powder, which I think might be more dangerous around kids if you have a bag of that laying around.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use bleach as a chlorine source and the occasional muriatic acid to lower pH as needed, but those bottles stay in a cabinet in my locked shop. If I were cleaning filters, they would be in buckets outside, and I have one daughter that would absolutely do her best to pull the top off one of them. I'm not sure she could get the lid off a 5-gallon bucket, but I don't want to find out the hard way.