Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jack's Magic Step Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Orange Park, FL

Jack's Magic Step Cleaner

The product is a two step process using a liquid and powder. I've searched but unable to find what exactly each product contains. Anyone know?
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Portage, MI

Re: Jack's Magic Step Cleaner

Have not used it myself but it sounds just like the ascorbic acid and sequestrant treatment recommended so often on these boards.
    Vinyl IG, 19k gal, Intelliflo Variable Speed, Hayward S244T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

It definitely contains a phosphoric acid derivative (which is a sequestrant) in the liquid portion. I would assume that the powder is something in the citric acid/ascorbic acid family, but they don't say anywhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I would like to thank everyone for the kind things said about my products. I can tell you that Jack's does not use ascorbic or citric acid in any of our products nor do we have phosphoric acid in any of our sequestering products. Should anyone have technical questions or need advice or help they are always welcome to email me @

5. Back To Top    #5

Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    nor do we have phosphoric acid in any of our sequestering products.
    The MSDS would say otherwise. Technically, its a phosphonic acid derivitive.

Manufacturer MSDS #
    Jack's Magic Products, Inc. N/A
    Address CAS #
    12435 73rd Ct. N/A
    Date Prepared
    Largo, FL 33773 5/2008
    Phone # (for information) Prepared By
    1-800-348-1656 N/A
    Emergency Phone #
    1-800-424-9300 (international 703-527-3887)
    COMPONENTS – Chemical Name & Common Name
    (Hazardous Components 1% or greater, carcinogens 0.1% or greater)
    % OSHA
    Proprietary Formulation 100
    Contains: (1-Hydroxyelthylidene-1, 1-
    diphosphonic Acid)
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi bk,

Phosphonic and phosphoric are not the same

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

Phosphonates or phosphonic acids are simply organic derivatives of phosphoric acid. They all have the core phosphorous with 3 oxygen as shown in this link. By comparison, phosphoric acid or orthophosphate is shown in this link. You can see that the difference is in the organic portion which was designated as "R" in the first image above. The specific ingredient "1-Hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-diphosphonic Acid" is commonly referred to as HEDP and has a structure as shown in this link.

HEDP has some decent resistance to breakdown from chlorine (due to the relatively strong C-P bonds), but it DOES break down by getting oxidized over time (especially in sunlight) which results in generation of orthophosphates. The bond between the carbon and phosphorous is broken ultimately forming two orthophosphates and organic chlorine compounds (or carbon dioxide and water if oxidized by oxygen). Some species of algae can utilize the phosphorous present in HEDP as a nutrient, though the uptake is slow.

Of course, we know that algae can be controlled by chlorine alone even when phosphate levels are high so we don't worry about that on this forum and is why we prefer using HEDP and similar metal sequestrants since they bind to metals better and are more resistant to breakdown from chlorine than most other metal sequestrants so generally do not result in noticeably increased chlorine demand.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"