pucks in basket with skimmer sock

Welcome to TFP.

We don't recommend using pucks for anything except special circumstances and unless your pump runs 24 hours a day you shouldn't put them in the skimmer, in or out of the sock.

Read Pool School and you'll learn a better way of doing things.

A few years ago I was using stabilized pucks in the skimmer basket. Then I switched to a chlorinator using stabilized pucks. I've ended up with too much stabilizer so my pool people told me to stop using stabilized pucks and to put unstabilized pucks in the skimmer basket until my stabilizer was ok. Is this wrong?

Please don't type in all caps as it is often perceived as yelling. I have corrected it for you. Thanks!
257WbyMag
Forum Moderator

There are only two sources of unstabilized pucks. Cal-hypo which raises your CH and that will become a problem if it isn't already and Lithium-hypo which is rare and crazy expensive. Which are you using?

It would help to post a full set of test results too. That will help us figure out what's the best way for you to go.

I have been chlorinating with Trichlor pucks in a rainbow automatic chlorinator. I recently tested by CYA and it is at about 80. I do not want to increase my CYA, so I have looked into Cal-hypo pucks as a replacement option. I shock with granular Cal-hypo and my calcium level is about 400. I am seeking advice on the best way to chlorinate my pool on a daily basis. Please advise.

Recent pool readings
TC: 5
FC:5
PH:7.4
TA:110
CH:400
CYA:80

22,000 Gallon, Gunnite pebble finish, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, sand filter, 1 hp proline pump

The best way to chlorinate your pool on a daily basis is liquid chlorine (aka bleach). Period.

Your CYA is already high so you don't want to use trichlor or dichlor.

Your CH is already high so you don't want to use cal-hypo.

svenpup, Thanks.

I purchased a house 6 weeks ago with a pool and hope that I am finally getting the hang of it. As far as shocking goes I assume liquid chlorine is still the way to go. Also, I currently shock on a weekly basis because I have been told "thats just what you do". Is it possible to shock only when you have CC?

In your opinion where would you like to see the CH and CYA levels?

Everything I said about chlorinating on a daily basis applies to shock. Liquid chlorine is the way to go.

There is no need to shock on a weekly basis. If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should shock the pool.

Recommended levels for CYA is 30 to 50 depending on sun exposure/daytime FC loss.
[Edit] Higher CYA (~60) can be managed, and may be desirable where the pool get extreme (Hot-lanta) sun, but at CYA=80 be advised that your shock FC level is 31. It will be very difficult to clear your pool if you do allow algae to take hold.[/Edit]

Recommended levels for CH is 250 to 350, but higher is ok as long as you understand what the implications are. Read about the Calcite Saturation Index (CSI).

It sounds like you have some reading to do. Read and re-read Pool School:

• Basic Pool Care Schedule [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Pool Chemistry[/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Recommended Pool Chemicals [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • How to Chlorinate Your Pool [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Chlorine / CYA Chart [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Test Kits Compared [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Recommended Levels [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • What is BBB? [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • The Pool Calculator [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Defeating Algae [/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Calcium Scaling[/*:m:4q9x59zd]
  • Shock Your Pool [/*:m:4q9x59zd]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.