Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump humming

1. Back To Top    #1

pump humming

I am hoping that someone here can help me. My hayward 1.5hp pump has been working fine for the last month. Today I went to turn it on and all it wants to do is hum. I checked the plugs, breakers, unplugged to reset and moved the control to recirculate instead of filter (thinking it may be stuck). All it does is hum/buzz. Called hayward and spent 20 mins on hold. Called my local pool dealer and they suggested replacing the pump thinking it was a bearing issue. Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend about $350. TIA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump humming

Welcome to TFP.

Sounds like a bad capacitor. Easy and cheap to change.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry to ask, but my female brain is learning as I go. Where can I get one and is there an online instruction manual for replacing it? I am pretty handy, so I am willing to give it a try.

4. Back To Top    #4

First thing I'd do is pull the back cover off the pump (turn off breaker first) and take something and try to turn the shaft. Every once in a while we'll hear where the pump sticks for some reason or other and turning the shaft will get it going again. In fact that happened to mine once.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I will try that first.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the input. I actually fixed it by hitting it with a hammer several times to the top and bottom of the motor.

Here is a video if I can post that.

http://video.wetheadmedia.com/my-pool-p ... is-humming

Worked like a charm.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    First thing I'd do is pull the back cover off the pump (turn off breaker first) and take something and try to turn the shaft. Every once in a while we'll hear where the pump sticks for some reason or other and turning the shaft will get it going again. In fact that happened to mine once.
    If it starts working after you do this, I would buy some Non conductive lubricant which is available at home depot electrical section and turn off breaker again and open cover and spray some around the bearings and shaft..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.