How many hours per day should I run my pump?

stavs

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
I have a 24' round (14k gallons or so), with as Hayward S180t and a Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1HP pump. Right now I have it set for 12 hours per day, mainly because thats what the previous owners had it set at. Any opinions?

As many as it takes is the only good answer.

12 hours sounds high. Try it at 8 hours and see if your pool stays clean and levels stay good.

stavs said:
I have a 24' round (14k gallons or so), with as Hayward S180t and a Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1HP pump. Right now I have it set for 12 hours per day, mainly because thats what the previous owners had it set at. Any opinions?
A lot depends on the usage and what sort of debris ends up in the pool. 12 hours sounds like overkill to me. Unless you have a way to calculate flow, which is doubtful with an aboveground, just keep dialing it back. Maybe lose an hour every 3 days or something. When it starts not looking as sparkly as it did, go back up an hour.

Well, with 12 hours, my water is clear, and I end up with a good bit of sediment spread around the bottom of the pool which the Rover Jr. takes care of (no vacuuming!). I dropped it down to 8 to see what happens. Considering it was keeping it clear with the return plugged (yes, I didnt realize there was a rubber plug behind my eyeball!), I figure 8 will be a good starting point.

I have the same setup...I have mine set to run 4 hrs during the day &the same at night..Has worked pretty good for the past couple of yrs.I usually clean mine on Sunday's..So most of the time I will let it run on Sunday's so I can get a good set of test&good cleaning..Since I have changed to the BBB...My water has stayed clear & hold's pretty good with the shorter cycles of the filter running..That's just my opinion..I don't have a big problem with leaves,etc so I spend very little time vacuuming!!!

I keep our 2-speed on low 24/7. The single-speed which came with the pool was costing us about $90/mo for 10/hr day, which is why we swapped it out with the 2-speed. The 2-speed on low 24/7 only runs about $30/mo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.