healthypools.org...what a joke

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I saw a "Free Swimming Pool Test Kit" on fatwallet (my other favorite site) and had to check it out.

I am not sure what agenda healthypools.org has, but apparently the only two parameters necessary for a healthy pool are pH between 7.2 and 7.8 and FC between 1 and 3. No mention of CYA or anything else. FC of 5 is indicated as "unacceptable" and "unhealthy". Nothing like educating the public.

The Water Quality and Health Council is the source. It seems that they are formed by a combination of chlorine producing industries and some various oversight commission members. This is federal funding for special interests.

I've been looking at it. Much of it is the same old rehashed stuff that is the result of not keeping up with the science behind things like CYA and FC ratios. "2 to 4 ppm on your FC and you'll never have a problem" type of thing. They are right about some things though such as the mention that giardia and crypto being able to live in properly chlorinated pool water for a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.