Ph/Green

scivey

Jun 14, 2010
I have a 24 x 52 Round ABG Pool and I am having to raise all my levels so I am starting with TA first. It is slowly coming up and my TC is good and my FC is too but my PH is very low. Every one is saying add PH decreaser. Is this correct? Also when I started the water was crystal clear but now after adding the chemicals to raise my TA the water is becoming green. HELP!! This is costing me tons of money and my kids really want to swim.

Can you post your numbers?

Why would anyone tell you to add pH DECREASER if your pH is low?

It kinda sounds like you just need to add some borax... will get your pH up, will add to your TA. And, often TA can be ignored, as it will fall in line naturally as you balance your other numbers.

But, I wouldn't give any specific advice without your numbers.

Welcome to TFP.

Post a full set of numbers to begin with.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

I doubt that you need to raise all your levels. Why would you add pH decreaser if your pH is low already?

Is this a new fill? If so, did you fill it from a well?

Welcome to TFP!

Is your water green and clear or is it green and cloudy?

Have you started reading Pool School? The big button on the top right of every page will take you there.

Thanks for the replies. I probably don't have the numbers you are looking for bc I am using aqua check test strips but they are the following:
ph- below 6.8
FC- 3
CC- unknown
TC- 3
TA- 0 (but I have added about 20 lbs. of sodium bicarbonate since yesterday afternoon)
CYA- 25

This is not a new fill we have had the pool for 4 years but we do have well water. The aquachem website is the on that says add ph decreaser according to the results the strip test gave. The water is now lite green/clear and while I was waiting for the responses I added 2 bags of shock. Shock has always been my go to stuff if I can't fig. it out. Shock is very expensive so if there is something else to use pls. let me know.

I think you just gave it away "The water is now lite green/clear". That sounds like metals to me. Have you ever had your well water tested for metals?

Strips are very inaccurate. I suggest you take a sample of your water to the Pool Store and have it tested especially for metals. Then buy your own test kit. It'll make taking care of your pool a lot easier not to mention a lot less costly because you won't just throw something in there. You'll be able to test and see exactly what you need to throw in there.

We need to know more about your "powder shock". There isn't any particular chemical that is called "shock", rather there are four or five different products, with different side effects, that all get labeled as "shock". It should list which chemical it contains on it somewhere.

You can raise PH with several different chemicals. The most common ones are soda ash, washing soda, PH Up, and Borax.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
The only shock I've seen at Walmart is Cal-hypo.

Same here and I looked pretty hard last time I was there since I needed some CYA and thought dichlor would be quicker and easier.

And if scivey is using Walmart's pucks (I bet he/she is) then the green is almost certainly copper since it is was in every trichlor puck at my Walmart.

Ok I think I have some numbers that I can work with
TC- 3
Fc-3
Ph-6.6
TA-40
CYA-50

Now I have added 64 oz. of bleach according to the pool calculator and have some baking soda and borax but have not added these yet. I was wondering which to add first and how. Oh and I have taken my plucks out of the pool that I was using in the chol. floater. My water is not light green anymore it is clear and really want to keep it that way.

1st fix your PH...6.6 is too low. Raise it to 7.4 given your low TA, using borax. You can simply slowly add borax in front of your return while the pump is running. Retest your PH after an hr and adjust. Poolcalculator.com, will help you figure out how much borax you'll need.

Glad to hear the water cleared...but if you want to keep it that way, I suggest you study pool school...button on upper right of this page...and invest in a drop based test kit such as the TF100 (http://www.Tftestkits.net) or the Taylor K2006.

You need to raise both PH and TA. PH should be raised up to at least 7.2 and TA up to around 70 to 80. PH and TA interact a little, so raise one, test again, and then raise the other.

You want to maintain your FC level between 4 and 8, and never below 4.

What are you using for testing? You said on the 14th that you added 20 lbs of sodium bicarbonate, which would have raised the TA by about 100, yet today your TA is only 40? It seems like your test results are not reliable.

The results are from the pool store but I also checked it with my 6 way test strips and it said 50. I also just checked my ph again after adding a whole box of borax 4 lbs. 14 oz. about 3 hrs. ago and it hasn't went up any. I am using drops to test that and the strips. Maybe I haven't given it enough time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.