Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little Brown Dots

1. Back To Top    #1

Beautiful Downtown Burbank

Little Brown Dots

I have these little brown dots on the bottom of my pool. Any idea what they are? Maybe tannin stains? We get a lot of leaves dropping in the pool, but the Kreepy Krauly runs every day, so none of them stay very long. Most of them are in pairs, about as far apart as the width of my thumb. Thanks!

FC: 10.5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 150 (150 is where it stays red, 110 is where it starts turning red. Which is the right one?)
    CH: 320
    CYA: 90

(edited with test results)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19,500 gallon plaster pool, Kreepy Krauly, IntelliFlo pump, Solar Sun Rings no longer heating the pool now that I have eight 4x12 Heliocol panels on my roof!

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Little Brown Dots

Probably organic staining (tannins) from tree debris getting into the pool. Berries and pollen pods do that to mine all the time. Hate those wax myrtles.

On the TA, once you end up with red that no longer changes, that is your endpoint.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Little Brown Dots

With your CYA that high, I would hold FC up so it never goes below 10ppm. If the stains are organic, they will fade and disappear due to the elevated FC levels.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School