Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CH

1. Back To Top    #1

High CH

The CH of the water coming out of the tap here in Mexico is 400. Our cement pool typically has a CH level of 600. However, when the numbers get this high I am a little skeptical of the accuracy. The other numbers are
    FC 2
    CC 0
    PH 7.5 to 7.7
    TA 60 to 80
    CYA 40
    Salt 4000

Is there any way to lower the CH?
    Note that the closest pool servicer is 300 miles away in Tucson. However, we do go to AZ sometimes to purchase items.
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CH

There are machines that can filter the calcium out, but the cost is not trivial. I know these are used in Arizona, but I couldn't say about Mexico. There aren't any easy ways to do it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The problem with getting one of the machines down here is that I understand that they are on a trailer and the permits, customs, and work visas required would really make this prohibitive. If I knew what the machine does, I might be able to get someone to build something that would do a similar task down here. The Mexican's are very creative in doing things like this. We could then share the cost with others with pools down here.
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by da2434890
    The CH of the water coming out of the tap here in Mexico is 400. Our cement pool typically has a CH level of 600. However, when the numbers get this high I am a little skeptical of the accuracy. The other numbers are
    FC 2
    CC 0
    PH 7.5 to 7.7
    TA 60 to 80
    CYA 40
    Salt 4000

Is there any way to lower the CH?
    Note that the closest pool servicer is 300 miles away in Tucson. However, we do go to AZ sometimes to purchase items.
    Other than a process using special equipment or a drain and refill with lower CH water I don't think there is a way to get rid of it. There are some filters that reduce some minerals, like those for water misting/drip systems but I'm not sure if they really reduce the "in solution" calcium.

Some other people will comment. I have a friend who has CH higher 600. For now, until we get more rain, we're keeping the TA on the low side. I can't remember numbers exactly but I think I left the TA around 40, until we could do a little draining. The CSI is pretty good. We don't let the pH ever go above 7.5.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

The process of removing just about everything in the water is Reverse Osmosis. You can google it to learn more about it. If there's a large enough demand, it might be worth putting together a system and sharing the cost between many pool owners.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit