Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter losing water to waste

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter losing water to waste

Noticed the past few days my pool was losing water. As my pac fab fns+ 36 is several years old on original parts, I checked the multiport valve and sure enough, set on filter but water was going out the waste line. I turned everything on and capped the waste outlet until the parts get here.

I'm need to double check the model numbers but I'm pretty sure my multiport is the model on the right-

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_valves_ ... tiport.htm

As far as I can tell I need to replace the o-ring part #20 (far left schematic) and the gasket part #2, right?

Will I need any seal or lubricant to install the gasket? This is the correct fix for this issue, right?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter losing water to waste

#2, the spider gasket, is almost always where the problem is. Only occasionally does #20 need to be replaced. #23 is also a possible issue, as is #21, the spring.

You need something to scrape the old spider gasket off, often a flat blade screwdriver will work, and something to glue down the new spider gasket, typically super glue. It is also good to have some silicone based pool/plumbers lube to lubricate all of the o-rings/gaskets that you encounter during the process, even if not replacing them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It still seems to have good spring tension, but probably best to replace it all once I have it apart. This filter is easily 10+ yrs old, so perhaps it's just a matter of time before they'd need replaced anyway.

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

I swear I'm not taking your water! :P

Check the wagon wheel A/K/A spider gasket and the tracks it fits in (as per Jason)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks waste. Parts are ordered and should arrive soon

6. Back To Top    #6

Parts arrived some time ago, but I didn't get a chance to replace the gasket until yesterday. Old gasket was worn, came out easily enough, grooves cleaned up nicely, and installed easily with super glue gel. Gave it several minutes to set, then re-assembled everything. Only problem is it's still losing water to waste

Took it back apart to make sure the gasket didn't come lose, and it was still seated firmly. I can think of a couple possibilities why-

1- I didn't lube the spider gasket. I've read conflicting info on doing so and decided not too. Don't know if this alone could cause the problem.

2- Although I mentioned above that I would go ahead and replace the spring, at the last minute I didn't order the part as it was $20. I thought it was ok, but upon closer inspection it seems like the spring isn't pushing the valve head down on the gasket tightly enough. Not sure if it's the spring or the washers that that transfer the compression force to it when the handle is worked.

For now I put the cap back on the waste outlet and unless you guys can think of something else I should consider I guess I need to order some more parts

7. Back To Top    #7

You could try stretching the spring that you have and see if it seals after that. Then you'd know whether that was the problem or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you think it's likely got to be the spring or compressing washers? What else could it be? I'd rather know ahead of time and just take it apart once.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would also verify handle pin is working smoothly (#18 in diagram). If it binds, the spring may not be able to apply sufficient pressure to the spider gasket. A little PB Blaster may help free it up if it is binding.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

10. Back To Top    #10

Handle moves up and down freely, and I don't feel spring compression through it's entire range.

11. Back To Top    #11

On my multiport the spring is pretty tight when moving the valve as well as when it seats.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks. I ordered all the pertinent parts.