Chlorine smell with balanced pool?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I am having a higher than expected chlorine smell and eye irritation level, note this is an indoor pool here are my numbers are as of about 2 hours before having 5 people in the pool:

FC 3.5

CC less then .5

pH 7.3 (acid added least weekend dropped to about 7.1 last to reduce TA down from 120-130)

TA 90

CYA just under 20

CH 330 last time tested 2 weeks ago

Water temp 81

No chemicals added in the last 2 days (last tested Thursday evening, with FC of 3.0 added .5 gal 5.25% bleach as I knew it would not be checked again until the weekend)

After everyone finished swimming, I shocked with 3.5 pounds of MPS non-chlorine shock in hope of helping with the chlorine smell, and then added add a couple of tri-chlor pucks to maintain the FC level and bring the CYA back up to 20.

Any thoughts, am I going the right way?

thanks Ike

You want as much ventilation as you can get. Other than that, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Indoor pools tend to have frequent problems with CC. Using MPS is probably the simplest available solution.

For What It's Worth, my outside pool has a higher chlorine smell if I leave the solar cover on for a while. Takes some time to 'vent' away. Normally I haven't had much chlorine smell if any when the cover is off. Yes it's outside and yours is inside, but sounds like just need venting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.