Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading a SuperPump 3/4HP to dual speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading a SuperPump 3/4HP to dual speed

I have a Hayward 3/4HP Superpump that is starting to get noisy. Since we pay about $0.30/kwh, the two speed pumps looks attractive. Can I upgrade this pump by just replacing the motor and the timer, or should the whole thing be swapped out? The pump is used for a 20k gal chlorine pool with one skimmer, blocked main drain, two returns, and a Hayward EC65 DE filter. All plumbing is 1.5"
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading a SuperPump 3/4HP to dual speed

If the wet end is in good shape (i.e. you're not having pumping problems) then it would certainly be worth changing out the motor to a 2-speed. That's exactly what I intend to do as soon as our motor starts giving problems.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm also in the process of this. Right now, I'm trying to find a company that will ship the motor to Guam for a reasonable price. Every quote I've gotten so far, the price of shipping is more than the price of the motor
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Did this in March w/ a 1 HP Superpump-- was an easy job. Just be sure you understand the wiring for a 2 speed. I used a "canopy toggle switch" on the motor end cap or canopy to manually change speeds, but I think getting a 2-speed timer as you suggest would be very convenient! Good luck-- you'll be glad you upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by jparr
    I have a Hayward 3/4HP Superpump that is starting to get noisy. Since we pay about $0.30/kwh, the two speed pumps looks attractive. Can I upgrade this pump by just replacing the motor and the timer, or should the whole thing be swapped out? The pump is used for a 20k gal chlorine pool with one skimmer, blocked main drain, two returns, and a Hayward EC65 DE filter. All plumbing is 1.5"
    10,000 IG vinyl liner pool, Hayward sand filter, Hayward SuperPump (converted to 2-speed), BBB user