Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG for above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG for above ground pool

Ok, need help with some questions about a SWG system for my pool. Mine is 19600 gallons, and all the systems I am seeing are rated for an AG of 18000. Can any system be used as long as it matches my capacity? I am done with Baquacil, 4 year old pool and the costs, not to mention algae problems the last two years. Ny dealer, who I think makes all his money on chemicals, says it will corrode my metal liner, but after researching this, I am inclined to not believe him.
    Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Danny
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG for above ground pool

welcome to TFP...don;t believe your dealer...get a SWG
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I beleive I have my mind made up, are there systems suitable for an above ground with a 19600 gallon capacity?
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Whether it's marketed for an inground or an above ground pool they'll work on either one. Get a unit with the largest cell you can afford. For a 20,000 gallon pool I recommend at least a 25,000 gallon model and larger if you can afford it. If you get a unit that just matches the size of your pool remember that they rate them to sanitize the rated size by running 24 hours a day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I usually run my filter 24 hours a day, would I do the same with a SWG?
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dlschell5
    I usually run my filter 24 hours a day, would I do the same with a SWG?
    If it's sized properly, you shouldn't have to. The higher end units have percentage settings where 100% is on constantly, 0% is off constantly, 50% is on for 12 hours, etc. (least I think it's linear like that). You can start at, say, 60% and check how much your FC increases in a day, and then adjust either downward or upward until it's generating the amount of FC you want.

The lower end units like the Intex I have, you program it to run a certain # of hours, it runs those # of hours and shuts off, and then comes on the next day at roughly the same time and runs for those same # of hours again. Like the higher end units, I had to dial my unit in to produce the amount of FC I need. Turns out I run mine 4 hours a day.

edit: btw, you probably don't need to be running your pump and filter 24 hours a day either, especially if it's a single speed pump.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

7. Back To Top    #7

corrode my metal liner
    Did you really mean "metal liner"? Normally there is a metal frame with a vinyl liner between it and the water. As long as you have a vinyl liner you are fine. If majority of the pool surface is actually metal directly in contact with the water you need to find out what kind of metal that is before adding salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

No, I meant metal walls with a vinyl liner, was not too clear on my discription. Out of habit I run my pump 24 hours a day, I may put it on a timer and maybe try running 12 hours a day and see how it goes. Our water clarity is good, fighting some algae right now with the Baquacil we are using, I am going to go to a SWG, thought I would wait until next season, but after the most recent bill for chemicals, may go with it this year.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

No, I meant metal walls with a vinyl liner, was not too clear on my discription. Out of habit I run my pump 24 hours a day, I may put it on a timer and maybe try running 12 hours a day and see how it goes. Our water clarity is good, fighting some algae right now with the Baquacil we are using, I am going to go to a SWG, thought I would wait until next season, but after the most recent bill for chemicals, may go with it this year.
    You'll have to convert your pool from Baquagoo to chlorine first before you can use a SWCG...you probably know this, but wanted to make sure.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it, thanks for the help, have been reading all the forums on the conversion, getting ready to order an Intex SWG today.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Try to find one of the older ones if you can. The newer ones have a copper ion generator that you'd want to disconnect, and plus the older ones generate more chlorine than the newer ones.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks again, I just happened to see one at WalMart, I will check and see if it is one of the older models.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, bought the Jandy SWG, and put my first bottles of bleach in, talk about some impressive colors. I found I do not have the correct testing kits to maintain the 15PPM. Can I add bleach and assume that as long as the water changes color, that there is still Baq present?
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

No you can't do that. You need to measure the FC to make sure it's at 15 ppm. You also need to measure CC as well so you'll know when your done.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Good choice in making the switch to good ole fashioned Chlorine. Well, salt=chlorine...

16. Back To Top    #16

Can any one tell how much time this conversion should take, or an average?
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

I hate to give you a number of days because if you're one of the people that take longer you'll be disappointed but here goes anyway.
    I haven't actually counted but it seems like about a week at the outside. Now don't get too disappointed if it takes a little longer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Sounds good, am picking up a test kit tomorrow, so far I put, based on the pool calculator, 788 ounces of bleach, which changed the color of the water dramtically, and followed by 364 ounces this evening. My figuring is at least I can kill some of the Baquacil while waiting for my test kit. Also have large particles suspended in the water. Backwashing was gree, followed by yellow with a lot of faom. Am I helping or hurting without a reliable test kit. I have 14 days to get this converted to a SWG before I am out of the country for a bit. If the pool is not up and running, my wife is going to very unfriendly, lol
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Conversion complete! Very happy with the results.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter