Got my TF100. Ready to kill pool store tester.

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Finally got my TF100.. I really should have gotten that before (long story) but hey, now is better than never. I can't believe how off the pool store tests were and I adjusted my chemicals according to their results while trying to aim for the pool school guidelines for SWG with a CH slightly higher than it recommends (to avoid warranty issues on my equipment).

My pool is a ~20k gallons, vinyl liner. I run a P4 panel, pump on 8 hrs / day and chlorinator was set t0 25%. Here's the result of my tests:

pH = ~7.6 :-D (bang on, same as pool store)
fc = 8.5 :( so I've lowered my SWG to 15%
cc = 0 :-D
CYA = 45 :roll: (low.. pool store had tested it to be 100.. WTF?)
CA = 180 :-D (two pool stores tested it, 125 for first, 180 for 2nd)
TA = 180 :rant: (stores tested it to 110 and 125, after initial test at 40 for which they told me to add lots to reach the target of 125 - 150..)

I know how to deal with the fc and CYA but I'm wondering if I should deal with the TA? Too much TA is supposed to raise the pH but I haven't had a problem at all with my pH since I've filled the pool..

Any suggestions?

Yes,my t/a was high..same advice ..I've kept my ph at 7.2 and the t/a worked down to 90.Has been that for 2 week's.I stared out at 160 I believe .I uhave the t-100..I have been running a full testevery weekend to keep an eye on it...Love the new test kit..No more pool shop to give wrong readding..

I understand killing the pool tester, before getting my water tested the other day, I gave my buddy half of my sample and asked him to get it tested. You guessed it, all the numbers were different, (except for Cl which was 3.0 TF100 said it was 5.5...).

I think a lot of us feel that way about our local pool supply store. I am sure there are good ones, but geez.....

I had my pool for 4 years before I had a SWG and found this place. Looking back, I am depressed at all the chemicals I needlessly bought over those four years...

What bugs me is that the two pool stores I've used have the big fancy setups, pipets, magnetic stirrer (got one for the tf100, really useful), precise droppers and cylinders, .. but they still manage to screw up the readings badly. How is that possible?

mart242 said:
What bugs me is that the two pool stores I've used have the big fancy setups, pipets, magnetic stirrer (got one for the tf100, really useful), precise droppers and cylinders, .. but they still manage to screw up the readings badly. How is that possible?

Smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors...

Just because I HAVE a gun trained, whistle command trained black lab doesn't mean I have a freezer full of dove, kwim? :mrgreen:
That would require the lazy thing to get off the couch...

poolgirl22 said:
mart242 said:

Smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors...

Just because I HAVE a gun trained, whistle command trained black lab doesn't mean I have a freezer full of dove, kwim? :mrgreen:
That would require the lazy thing to get off the couch...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.