Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got my TF100. Ready to kill pool store tester.

1. Back To Top    #1

Got my TF100. Ready to kill pool store tester.

Finally got my TF100.. I really should have gotten that before (long story) but hey, now is better than never. I can't believe how off the pool store tests were and I adjusted my chemicals according to their results while trying to aim for the pool school guidelines for SWG with a CH slightly higher than it recommends (to avoid warranty issues on my equipment).

My pool is a ~20k gallons, vinyl liner. I run a P4 panel, pump on 8 hrs / day and chlorinator was set t0 25%. Here's the result of my tests:

pH = ~7.6 (bang on, same as pool store)
    fc = 8.5 so I've lowered my SWG to 15%
    cc = 0
    CYA = 45 (low.. pool store had tested it to be 100.. ***?)
    CA = 180 (two pool stores tested it, 125 for first, 180 for 2nd)
    TA = 180 (stores tested it to 110 and 125, after initial test at 40 for which they told me to add lots to reach the target of 125 - 150..)

I know how to deal with the fc and CYA but I'm wondering if I should deal with the TA? Too much TA is supposed to raise the pH but I haven't had a problem at all with my pH since I've filled the pool..

Any suggestions?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got my TF100. Ready to kill pool store tester.

If the TA at 180 keeps your PH @ 7.4-7.6, there is no need to adjust downward...but do keep an eye on it
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes,my t/a was high..same advice ..I've kept my ph at 7.2 and the t/a worked down to 90.Has been that for 2 week's.I stared out at 160 I believe .I uhave the t-100..I have been running a full testevery weekend to keep an eye on it...Love the new test kit..No more pool shop to give wrong readding..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand killing the pool tester, before getting my water tested the other day, I gave my buddy half of my sample and asked him to get it tested. You guessed it, all the numbers were different, (except for Cl which was 3.0 TF100 said it was 5.5...).
    Inground 30,000 gallon Pebble-Sheen pool
    Jandy Aqua-Pure 1400 Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I think a lot of us feel that way about our local pool supply store. I am sure there are good ones, but geez.....

I had my pool for 4 years before I had a SWG and found this place. Looking back, I am depressed at all the chemicals I needlessly bought over those four years...
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by johnd13
    Looking back, I am depressed at all the chemicals I needlessly bought over those four years...
    Try seven...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What bugs me is that the two pool stores I've used have the big fancy setups, pipets, magnetic stirrer (got one for the tf100, really useful), precise droppers and cylinders, .. but they still manage to screw up the readings badly. How is that possible?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    What bugs me is that the two pool stores I've used have the big fancy setups, pipets, magnetic stirrer (got one for the tf100, really useful), precise droppers and cylinders, .. but they still manage to screw up the readings badly. How is that possible?
    Smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors...

Just because I HAVE a gun trained, whistle command trained black lab doesn't mean I have a freezer full of dove, kwim?
    That would require the lazy thing to get off the couch...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by poolgirl22
    Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    Smoke and mirrors my friend, smoke and mirrors...

Just because I HAVE a gun trained, whistle command trained black lab doesn't mean I have a freezer full of dove, kwim?
    That would require the lazy thing to get off the couch...
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

10. Back To Top    #10

Your pool guys were a **** of a lot closer than my (EX) pool guys for sure!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!