Aqua-Rite vs Aqua-Rite Pro w/ Sense and Dispense

sounds like it would be very convenient or just another thing that can malfunction? I guess I'm a gadget girl so would probably go that route if the cost wasn't too out of proportion for what the benefit would be

It can be nice to have the automated PH control part of the Sense and Dispense system, but I find the ORP portion useless for an outdoor residential pool. Given the price, most people don't get the Sense and Dispense add on.

JasonLion said:
It can be nice to have the automated PH control part of the Sense and Dispense system, but I find the ORP portion useless for an outdoor residential pool. Given the price, most people don't get the Sense and Dispense add on.

Is it possible to add the ph functionality only? My chlorine (in SWG pool) stays relatively under control. However, due to the salt and the massive aeration I have with my negative edge and skuppers, my ph drift continues to be a nightmare.

http://theaustindude.blogspot.com

Using ORP requires using a lower CYA level, which means the cell needs to run longer to produce enough chlorine, and so needs to be replaced more frequently. You also need a somewhat larger cell than you would otherwise need to be able to keep up with the increased chlorine demand. The difference isn't dramatic, but it is noticeable. You also need to replace the PH and ORP sensors about every two years, which is also a noticeable expense. If you have ORP turned off, you can simply not replace the ORP sensor, for some savings.

Depending on details of your pool that are difficult to evaluate in advance, the ORP automation may or may not work at all. If it does work, the only real advantage is when you have a large swim party. ORP automation can add the extra chlorine required by it's self, while percentage based automation requires manual intervention when the bather load is suddenly higher than usual.

Living in Central TX, my SWG is pretty taxed during the heat of the summer regardless of CYA level. It's probably a bit undersized for my pool with all the heat and movement of water. I don't think ORP would be much value to me, but automating the PH would be. However, I'm not a fan of having large vats of muriatic acid laying around, so I would have to opt for the CO2, which I'm guessing would add some additional cost (although depending on how long it lasts, might be much cheaper than all the MA I have to buy to keep up).

What is the price for the system, if intending to to PH automation only? It seems a bit unclear based on what I've read.

I have AquaRite Pro with Sense & Dispense. We recently remodeled and added this. We turned it on in February of this year. I'm the pool man, so we decided to buy the system to make my life easier.

The pH part is fabulous. I love it. I always had pH issues in the old pool. It was usually around 7.8; I never got it down to 7.5. With Sense & Dispense it's almost always at 7.5. I couldn't be happier.

I'm using the MA tank. The pool remodel company didn't even tell me that CO2 was an option. I suppose I could change to it if I wanted, although CO2 tanks aren't as easy to come by as MA. I was concerned that MA tank + young kids = trouble, but so far it hasn't been. A Hayward service person mentioned some issues with CO2, but since I don't have it, I didn't find out more about the problem.

The ORP part is driving me nuts. I just joined TFP to post about this if I can't find anyone else with answers. I found TFP a few months ago (and it's a great help). Look for a post about AquaRite Pro Sense & Dispense ORP problems if I can't find another thread on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.