Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua-Rite vs Aqua-Rite Pro w/ Sense and Dispense

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua-Rite vs Aqua-Rite Pro w/ Sense and Dispense

Looking to get a SWG in the near future, any opinions on getting the standard Aqua-Rite vs the Aqua-Rite Pro version with the capability to upgrade later with the sense and dispense option...
    21,000 Gallon Inground Vinyl Sport bottom pool
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua-Rite vs Aqua-Rite Pro w/ Sense and Dispense

sounds like it would be very convenient or just another thing that can malfunction? I guess I'm a gadget girl so would probably go that route if the cost wasn't too out of proportion for what the benefit would be
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Let me rephrase this, does anyone own the Aquarite pro with the sense and dispense and do you like it?
    21,000 Gallon Inground Vinyl Sport bottom pool
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

It can be nice to have the automated PH control part of the Sense and Dispense system, but I find the ORP portion useless for an outdoor residential pool. Given the price, most people don't get the Sense and Dispense add on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It can be nice to have the automated PH control part of the Sense and Dispense system, but I find the ORP portion useless for an outdoor residential pool. Given the price, most people don't get the Sense and Dispense add on.
    Is it possible to add the ph functionality only? My chlorine (in SWG pool) stays relatively under control. However, due to the salt and the massive aeration I have with my negative edge and skuppers, my ph drift continues to be a nightmare.

http://theaustindude.blogspot.com
    Our pool- (Completed March 2009)
    20k gallons, 38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2x1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps, Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 w/ Hayward booster pump, Pentair Prowler 920, DIY Stenner Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the PH and ORP automation can be turned on and off separately in the Sense and Dispense setup.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Would there be a substantial savings in not using the ORP?
    20k gallons, 38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2x1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps, Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 w/ Hayward booster pump, Pentair Prowler 920, DIY Stenner Chlorinator

8. Back To Top    #8

Using ORP requires using a lower CYA level, which means the cell needs to run longer to produce enough chlorine, and so needs to be replaced more frequently. You also need a somewhat larger cell than you would otherwise need to be able to keep up with the increased chlorine demand. The difference isn't dramatic, but it is noticeable. You also need to replace the PH and ORP sensors about every two years, which is also a noticeable expense. If you have ORP turned off, you can simply not replace the ORP sensor, for some savings.

Depending on details of your pool that are difficult to evaluate in advance, the ORP automation may or may not work at all. If it does work, the only real advantage is when you have a large swim party. ORP automation can add the extra chlorine required by it's self, while percentage based automation requires manual intervention when the bather load is suddenly higher than usual.

9. Back To Top    #9

Living in Central TX, my SWG is pretty taxed during the heat of the summer regardless of CYA level. It's probably a bit undersized for my pool with all the heat and movement of water. I don't think ORP would be much value to me, but automating the PH would be. However, I'm not a fan of having large vats of muriatic acid laying around, so I would have to opt for the CO2, which I'm guessing would add some additional cost (although depending on how long it lasts, might be much cheaper than all the MA I have to buy to keep up).

What is the price for the system, if intending to to PH automation only? It seems a bit unclear based on what I've read.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have AquaRite Pro with Sense & Dispense. We recently remodeled and added this. We turned it on in February of this year. I'm the pool man, so we decided to buy the system to make my life easier.

The pH part is fabulous. I love it. I always had pH issues in the old pool. It was usually around 7.8; I never got it down to 7.5. With Sense & Dispense it's almost always at 7.5. I couldn't be happier.

I'm using the MA tank. The pool remodel company didn't even tell me that CO2 was an option. I suppose I could change to it if I wanted, although CO2 tanks aren't as easy to come by as MA. I was concerned that MA tank + young kids = trouble, but so far it hasn't been. A Hayward service person mentioned some issues with CO2, but since I don't have it, I didn't find out more about the problem.

The ORP part is driving me nuts. I just joined TFP to post about this if I can't find anyone else with answers. I found TFP a few months ago (and it's a great help). Look for a post about AquaRite Pro Sense & Dispense ORP problems if I can't find another thread on it.
    Southern CA 30K gal Pebble Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed Hayward DE6020 filter Paramount Debris Canister Goldline/Hayward AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) Sense & Dispense (acid) Paramount Debris Canister Pentair IntelliBrite 5G and GloBrite Inter-Fab G-Force slide Jandy deck jets Lion head spout Dolphin Premier Cleaner Taylor K-2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

CO2 tanks ought to be easy to find at the local welding supply center. I added CO2 to my planted fish tanks.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.