Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to install pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How to install pump

I recently purchased a Hayward Power Flo, to replace my Power Pak1. Can anyone help with how to do this. The power pak is just connected with hoses. The new pump doesn't have anywhere to connect the hoses to. I have read the instruction book and it says something about using PVC can anyone please help and let me know what exactly I need to do!

Thank You!
    14,000 gallons, AG, Jacuzzi sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to install pump

I'm a relative newb at this myself, but if you post some pix of your old setup and ypur new pump I would be willing to help.

You may have to take the fittings off the old pump and put them on the new pump.
    24' Round 14K Gallons
    Hayward S180t Sand Filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have checked my power pak, and the fittings can not be removed, so I'm guessing that I need some kind of male fittings. But I'm not real sure what I need.

4. Back To Top    #4

pictures of the pump will help a lot. Is it a Matrix, LX, or ???? which model? Anyway, usually you will need a threaded male PVC end to fit on the pump intake - probably 1 1/2" but it's entirely possible that there could be some out there with 2"? - the output to the filter may be the same one that goes to your current filter so nothing new may be needed there - usually that is fairly standard and may have a small O ring or gasket that goes with it.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are the pictures of the 2 pumps. The old pump had male ends that the hose from the skimmer & hose going to the filter slid over.
    The new pump has female threaded connectors, so I can't connect the hoses
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok...I'm officially out of the "helping" phase as I have no clue after seeing that second picture. I have the same pump as you new one though (love it!). Its a Powerflo Matrix for future reference. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.
    24' Round 14K Gallons
    Hayward S180t Sand Filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

7. Back To Top    #7

You will have to make you new fitting from scratch or go to pool store & get you some fitting..All pretty standard..If you are good at plumbing you can go to the hardware store &get some help& You may have to get the tapered end's for new hose's..Don't know what size your old hoses were..If they are 1.5 to 1.3/4 youcan just get the new hose end's at the poolstore and they will screw into the new pump...I would recomend putting some cut-off valves on the new set-up.I wouldn't get too worried over it..When you get it going you will have one good pump..I did notice the ext cord laying on the ground..That new pump will burn that cord up!!!I'm new to the site but there will be plenty of advice..Good Luck!!!
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Need a couple of these PVC Insert Adapter or hose barb. and a couple clamps.

Also as mention in previous post, make sure your electrical connections can carry the electrical load of the new pump.
    K HOLMES

23 X 45 GUNNITE
    OWNER/BUILDER

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all for the help. Hopefully I can get the stuff and get it up & running real soon, this Texas heat is almost unbearable.
    And just to note I know that does look like an extension cord but is actually the cord that came on the Power Pak.
    I do have an outlet that was installed just for the pool, will that be ok with the new pump?

10. Back To Top    #10

The outlet you speak of should be ok to plug the pump into. A hardware store, a farm store that sells sprayer fittings, & pools stores should carry the fittings. I have the same pump, & it should be 1 1/2 pipe thread on the end that screws into the pump, & you need to measure the hose for the barbed end. It should be either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

11. Back To Top    #11

Question for "jrstxgirl"... I am am having great difficulty finding a replacement strainer pot (mine cracked) for my Power Pak I. My local guy has tried 3 times and they keep sending him the wrong item. I see you are replacing your entire pump. Would you be willing to sell me the strainer pot from the old Power Pak I?

PS..It's just as hot here in ATL and the kids are dying without the pool!!

Call me 770-716-0050 if interested.

Thanks...Tom