People Shocked When They Learn You Use Bleach

Jun 27, 2009
Somebody was asking me about how I kill the algae in my fountain and I told them I don't. I said occasionally I'll put bleach in it which seems to turn in from a green to a grey I said since the fountain doesn't have a filter, it's not going to work the same as when I put bleach in the pool. Some woman at the party immediately acted in HORROR. :shock: "You mean, you put bleach in your pool? Like the kind you clean your bathroom with?" I thought she saw the devil or something. I went on rambling about bleach vs. pucks and CYA but probably sounded like I was speaking another language. How often do you get these reactions? :shock: :lol:

You know I found it funny that when I found this website, read through Pool School (many times), and used the Pool Calculator to determine that I needed to use "6% Bleach" to help with my green pool....I still had responses to my posts telling me I should go back to using Powder shock....I am loving this TFP site but am puzzled my the different advice I am getting from different users....I guess each one has their own opinion...

laweatherred said:
You know I found it funny that when I found this website, read through Pool School (many times), and used the Pool Calculator to determine that I needed to use "6% Bleach" to help with my green pool....I still had responses to my posts telling me I should go back to using Powder shock....I am loving this TFP site but am puzzled my the different advice I am getting from different users....I guess each one has their own opinion...

Well, there are times when using the powder can be beneficial. For example, let's say your CYA is low. You can use dichlor and not only shock your pool, but add needed CYA in the process. The point is knowing what goes into your pool and why.

TFP is much the same as other forums out there in that anyone can post an opinion on this or that. It may be an opinion that doesn't flow with what the consensus of the whole forum might be. Sooner or later though, a poster will offer the necessary guidance to steer things in the right direction. That's what makes us great. :wink:

Since I have been fighting my green pool for over a month I have tried everything...in fact the first 2 weeks I used 16 lbs of the dichlor shock...however each time I just dumped the full 8 lbs in at once since that is what the pool store told me to do rather than adding it gradually....anyway, then I used about 12 lbs of Hth Super Shock from Wal Mart since it is more readily available to me (closet pool store 30 miles away)....but nothing helped even a little bit....then I figured since I can get the 6% bleach even easier and less expensive I just decided to try that...I am pretty much at wits end with this pool....Still think we have too much sand in our sand filter...anyway thank you ModSquad for your input...pleeeease keep it coming...

For those not in the know, i tell them that i use liquid chlorine. It's too much effort to convince some people that bleach is the same thing. Especially if their kids are swimming in the pool.

My wife was totally freaked out by deadly bleach in the beginning. After a month of sparkling clean water, she's starting to come around. She still won't get in the pool for a long while after I add bleach. I should have told her I was using plutonium. That would have been okay.

I went to the grocery store tonight and bought 8 182-oz. jugs and 2 96-oz. jugs (all I could fit in my cart!) - great sale on bleach this week. So I get to the checkout and the twenty-something cashier says, "Hmph. That's a lot of bleach." I replied, "Swimming pool." He looked at me like..."Yeah, surrre, lady."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so all of you bleach users...can I use this bleach and keep it at shock level to clear my green swamp colored pool??? I have been talking to others in different "forums" (if that is the correct term) about this and have gotten mixed opinions....I've been fighting this for over a month, but just switched to bleach yesterday...Please, any answers to this will be greatly appreciated!!!

My favorite day was last year when I bought enough borax (11 boxes) to go from 0 to 50 ppm, 3 gallons of muriatic acid, and three cases of bleach. All at the same time. The checkout clerk was just looking at me. I told her it all makes it easier to get the blood out of the carpet. She about freaked.

The only people who routinely act like I am breaking the law by adding bleach to my pool are the local pool store folks. Gonna ruin my liner, don't know what the inert ingredients are :blah:. Translated: "Darn you smart person, you don't spend $180 per month in my store any more."

laweatherred said:
Ok so all of you bleach users...can I use this bleach and keep it at shock level to clear my green swamp colored pool??? I have been talking to others in different "forums" (if that is the correct term) about this and have gotten mixed opinions....I've been fighting this for over a month, but just switched to bleach yesterday...Please, any answers to this will be greatly appreciated!!!

Yes. You can and should use bleach exclusively in most cases (or liquid pool chlorine from a pool shop...same chemical, different concentrations).

You CAN use dichlor and trichlor in certain situations, ie, to raise CYA and FC at the same time for a limited period of time, such as upon opening the pool. Trichlor tabs can be used for vacations and at the beginning of a season as well. However, around here bleach (sodium hypchlorite) seems to be the preferred.

More fun with bleach:

When you are stocking up on bleach at your supermarket, wallmart, whatever, take a couple loops around the store... Then pass by the laundry section again.

It's fun seeing how quickly it fills up with people trying to figure out what the great deal is.

I finally just told my wife, "Don't take my word for it, go online and 'google' the content of liquid chlorine and the content of bleach. You'll see that it is the same thing, only the concentration is different."

I actually don't know if she ever looked it up on her own, but I've put quite a few gallons of bleach in there since then, without hearing anything about it again...in fact she started picking up a gallon just for me here and there when she happens to see that it is on sale. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.