Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People Shocked When They Learn You Use Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

People Shocked When They Learn You Use Bleach

Somebody was asking me about how I kill the algae in my fountain and I told them I don't. I said occasionally I'll put bleach in it which seems to turn in from a green to a grey I said since the fountain doesn't have a filter, it's not going to work the same as when I put bleach in the pool. Some woman at the party immediately acted in HORROR. "You mean, you put bleach in your pool? Like the kind you clean your bathroom with?" I thought she saw the devil or something. I went on rambling about bleach vs. pucks and CYA but probably sounded like I was speaking another language. How often do you get these reactions?
    11000 gallon Viking Fiberglass 12 x 28, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, 24" cascade fountain, 12" cascade fountain, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: People Shocked When They Learn You Use Bleach

My wife's first reaction when I told her about the BBB method was something to the effect of "Oh no. Please don't mess up our pool with some bogus information you got off the internet."
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

3. Back To Top    #3

Meh...sometimes. But when I tell them that it is the same stuff as the pool store chems, they relax a bit.

4. Back To Top    #4

You know I found it funny that when I found this website, read through Pool School (many times), and used the Pool Calculator to determine that I needed to use "6% Bleach" to help with my green pool....I still had responses to my posts telling me I should go back to using Powder shock....I am loving this TFP site but am puzzled my the different advice I am getting from different users....I guess each one has their own opinion...
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by laweatherred
    You know I found it funny that when I found this website, read through Pool School (many times), and used the Pool Calculator to determine that I needed to use "6% Bleach" to help with my green pool....I still had responses to my posts telling me I should go back to using Powder shock....I am loving this TFP site but am puzzled my the different advice I am getting from different users....I guess each one has their own opinion...
    Well, there are times when using the powder can be beneficial. For example, let's say your CYA is low. You can use dichlor and not only shock your pool, but add needed CYA in the process. The point is knowing what goes into your pool and why.

TFP is much the same as other forums out there in that anyone can post an opinion on this or that. It may be an opinion that doesn't flow with what the consensus of the whole forum might be. Sooner or later though, a poster will offer the necessary guidance to steer things in the right direction. That's what makes us great.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since I have been fighting my green pool for over a month I have tried everything...in fact the first 2 weeks I used 16 lbs of the dichlor shock...however each time I just dumped the full 8 lbs in at once since that is what the pool store told me to do rather than adding it gradually....anyway, then I used about 12 lbs of Hth Super Shock from Wal Mart since it is more readily available to me (closet pool store 30 miles away)....but nothing helped even a little bit....then I figured since I can get the 6% bleach even easier and less expensive I just decided to try that...I am pretty much at wits end with this pool....Still think we have too much sand in our sand filter...anyway thank you ModSquad for your input...pleeeease keep it coming...
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

7. Back To Top    #7

I get the "look" just about every time I bring it up
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

For those not in the know, i tell them that i use liquid chlorine. It's too much effort to convince some people that bleach is the same thing. Especially if their kids are swimming in the pool.
    20000 gal IG freeform, vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair 2 speed pump, Pentair Intellitouch controller, Pentair Heat Pump. Built 2008

9. Back To Top    #9

My wife was totally freaked out by deadly bleach in the beginning. After a month of sparkling clean water, she's starting to come around. She still won't get in the pool for a long while after I add bleach. I should have told her I was using plutonium. That would have been okay.
    Larry
    16x28 vinyl inground kidney, 1HP pump, sand filter, Compupool SWG, 11K gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I went to the grocery store tonight and bought 8 182-oz. jugs and 2 96-oz. jugs (all I could fit in my cart!) - great sale on bleach this week. So I get to the checkout and the twenty-something cashier says, "Hmph. That's a lot of bleach." I replied, "Swimming pool." He looked at me like..."Yeah, surrre, lady."
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 8.5 deep, 28K, Hayward C4025 SwimClear Filter, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1HP

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok so all of you bleach users...can I use this bleach and keep it at shock level to clear my green swamp colored pool??? I have been talking to others in different "forums" (if that is the correct term) about this and have gotten mixed opinions....I've been fighting this for over a month, but just switched to bleach yesterday...Please, any answers to this will be greatly appreciated!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

My favorite day was last year when I bought enough borax (11 boxes) to go from 0 to 50 ppm, 3 gallons of muriatic acid, and three cases of bleach. All at the same time. The checkout clerk was just looking at me. I told her it all makes it easier to get the blood out of the carpet. She about freaked.

The only people who routinely act like I am breaking the law by adding bleach to my pool are the local pool store folks. Gonna ruin my liner, don't know what the inert ingredients are . Translated: "Darn you smart person, you don't spend $180 per month in my store any more."
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by laweatherred
    Ok so all of you bleach users...can I use this bleach and keep it at shock level to clear my green swamp colored pool??? I have been talking to others in different "forums" (if that is the correct term) about this and have gotten mixed opinions....I've been fighting this for over a month, but just switched to bleach yesterday...Please, any answers to this will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Yes. You can and should use bleach exclusively in most cases (or liquid pool chlorine from a pool shop...same chemical, different concentrations).

You CAN use dichlor and trichlor in certain situations, ie, to raise CYA and FC at the same time for a limited period of time, such as upon opening the pool. Trichlor tabs can be used for vacations and at the beginning of a season as well. However, around here bleach (sodium hypchlorite) seems to be the preferred.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

laweatherred, check your PM's.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

When I buy a lot the store looks at me like I'm making a bomb or something. I just pretend like I have no idea they are bewildered I'm buying 15 gallons of bleach
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't say I use bleach, just liquid chlorine.

Same thing, just a different name.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

17. Back To Top    #17

Most people are "unclear on the concept"....same people that fight algae constantly and/or think they're "allergic" to chlorine pools, but they're just fine in a "SALT WATER POOL". *cough*
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

18. Back To Top    #18

More fun with bleach:

When you are stocking up on bleach at your supermarket, wallmart, whatever, take a couple loops around the store... Then pass by the laundry section again.

It's fun seeing how quickly it fills up with people trying to figure out what the great deal is.

19. Back To Top    #19

laweathered...the answer is YES you can clear a green swamp with bleach. Do you have a test kit? if not get one.
    27' 17,000 gal, AG,cartridge filter, 2.5 HP Waterway 2 speed

20. Back To Top    #20

I finally just told my wife, "Don't take my word for it, go online and 'google' the content of liquid chlorine and the content of bleach. You'll see that it is the same thing, only the concentration is different."

I actually don't know if she ever looked it up on her own, but I've put quite a few gallons of bleach in there since then, without hearing anything about it again...in fact she started picking up a gallon just for me here and there when she happens to see that it is on sale.
    12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast