Can't Get Wood Chips to Smoke

Jun 27, 2009
I've tried to get wood chips to smoke on my propane grill twice, both time unsuccessful. Each time, i soaked the wood chips in water and then trained the water. The first time I placed them in an aluminum tray in the corner of the grill where the burner was off. The second time, I put them in an aluminum foil package, poked holes in the package and placed them directly over a flame. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

to get the chips smoking put them over a high heat area...when I use chips in my grill I put them in some foil, cut slits in the top of the foil and put the grill on HIGH until the chips are smoking good..then I back the heat down to low to cool down a bit before I put the food on.

Yes do not wet the chips and if you want to add some moisture add a couple pans of water in the grill. if you want to skip the wood chips all together do a search for the smoke daddy.

+1..don't soak the woodchips..just use them dry...wrap them in foil, and put them right on your burner, or oin the heat distribution plate just above your burners..put your grill on high until you see the chips starting to smoke good, then you can adjust your heat back down.

Also...+1 to the smoke daddy...I just added the 8 inch one to my vertical smoker an I LOVE IT....it produces so much smoke for such a little device. I love it, love it, love it...and I think it was only around $60.00 or so

Dan

You can soak the chips but what I do is mix 1 part soaked chips with 1 part dry chips. Wrap in foil, poke holes in top and directly over the flame. I have also used a small metal baking pan or loaf pan and covered with foil as well.... a little more sturdy and reuseable.

I always soak the wood chips but only for a few minutes. I think some of the flavor comes from the steam coming off of them when they get hot.

I put them in aluminum foil, poke a few holes in it and put in on high heat while I'm warming the grill, I put it down under the grate right above the flames or if I'm using the charcoal grill, right on the hot coals. By the time the grill is good and hot and ready for my meat the wood is usually getting started smoking. Yum

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.