Output of gritty substance

Jun 13, 2010
I have an above ground pool ( aprox. 20,000 gal) with a Compu-Pool SWG and a Hayword Sand Filter. The SWG is new to the pool this year. I am having problems with the system outputting a lot of gritty substance I believe to be sand. I did not have this problem until I installed the SWG. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Mike

Okay, went by my local pool supply store and had my water tested here are the results: FAC = 2.5; TAC = 2.5; PH = 7.6; TA = 120; Calcium Hardness = 250; CYA = 50; & Phosphates = 500. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is additional information needed. thanks.
Mike

It might be calcium, or it might be sand. There are a couple of different ways of checking. The most reliable is to gather a little of the substance and put a few drops of muriatic acid on it. If it is calcium it will foam up, while sand won't really react at all. Another way to check would be to lower the PH to 7.2. If it goes away at the lower PH then it is calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.