Hurricane Season

Apr 30, 2009
Huntsville,TX
This will be our first full summer with a pool. Last summer we were just so glad to be done with the construction and swimming, I didn't put a lot of thought into it. With that being said, I'm curious what other pool owners in the Gulf Coast region do in preparation for a storm. I've been contemplating a whole house generator to keep the pool up and running. Not that I will be home much to use the pool, but the ability to maintain proper chemistry/filtration is what I am most concerned about. That in addition to being able to survive comfortably. I hate to bring it up, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks.

Having a generator can make a huge difference. You don't really need to run the pool pump as much as you normally would during a power outage, even an hour a day can make the difference between keeping the pool clean and a green swamp.

The other thing to think about in advance is patio furniture. You don't want something like a sun umbrella blowing into the pool and causing damage. Plastic furniture can often be put right into the pool, other stuff needs to be stored properly (or very heavy).

A generator to handle a 2.5 hp pump needs to be fairly large. If you want to go that route look for a generator that says it can run an air-conditioner of the same amp/volt rating.

If you have a smaller generator, you can use a cover pump or sump pump to get some circulation going.

If you don't have any electricity you probably want to let the pool go and fix it up later. However, if you want, you can add bleach by pouring around the edge of the pool and then immediately brush the entire pool to help mix it in.

I'm in the Baton Rouge area and last year we were hit by Gustav. I was out of power for a week. I had generator for the fridge but nothing for the pool. Didn't even think about it to be honest. My family was here visiting so we got in and swam. It made a slightly higher bather load but we were in it swishing it around (circulation). I did the best I could with water testing, brushing for circulation and swimming for circulation. It never turned green. I did shock it once the power came back just to kill anything lurking around. Hope this helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.