Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae Prevention

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae Prevention

New to BBB after Baquacil conversion. I understand that proper balance and maintaining the right FC will generally prevent algae. However, stuff happens, right? I have read about borates and also poly-quat 60 as acceptable algaestats (note: I believe only chlorine to be an effective algaecide). So, what are the opinions out there?

One other question (sorry - new to BBB): Other than SWG (which I cannot afford at this time) what is the solution to leaving the pool for a week of vacation? Pucks OK in a pinch?
    phil_d
    20,000 gal. vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE filter w/1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump
    Liquidator w/ 3/8" upgrade
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae Prevention

Non-scientific synopsis.

1. Chlorine is the choice to kill and prevent organics in your pool....bar none. It has virtually no side effects and it is the fastest, most effective killer.

2. borates apparently have some algaecidal properties. While I have never used them and don't intend to, it is apparent they can assist chlorine in doing it's job...note the word "assist".

3. I have never used algaecides, either. Many people on the forum find them useful as good preventers of algae (in particular when closing a pool)and, again, as a supplement to chlorine.

Pucks are the perfect choice for a vacation. Keep your CYA manageable prior to their use and they will not add very much (CYA) in the week or so you are gone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Since I converted to bleach (BBB) and later to a SWG I have not had algae.

The last time we went away for over one week we did the following:
    1.We had borates in the pool.
    2.We turned our SWG up.
    3.We placed pucks in the pool.
    4.We had someone check on our pool several days.

We returned to no algae.

If I were in your shoes I would do the following:
    1.Increase the Cl before I left.
    2.Place pucks in the pool.
    3.Add poly-quat 60.
    4.Ask a friend or relative to pour bleach into the pool mid week. No testing; just pour.

I find that it is easier and cheaper to prevent algae than to fight algae after it has taken hold.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Considering 24 ppm CYA and current FC target at 4, how many pucks required for 20,000 gal.? I am totally unfamilar with slow-dissolving tabs. I expect I will also add a start-up dose of polyquat 60, as there will be nobody around to check on it.
    phil_d
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a floater? I'd put 3 in a floater, you should be fine. If it's an inline chlorinator just fill it up and turn up the setting to the appropriate level, either midway or all the way open, not sure what would be the ideal setting on one of those.

The tablets will keep you above the "min" which is 2.... since they are constantly releasing the chlorine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Phil,

Your CYA is a little too low. You should be around 30-40ppm....especially for vacation.

How are you measuring it to get 24ppm? The normal CYA test should be reported in increments of 10 (30,40,50,etc) as the test is no more accurate than that anyway.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Slip of the key. CYA is 20 using TF100. I can add CYA to get it up to 30-40. I will re-test tonight and get the old sock out (knee-high nylon works great). I will be using pucks to keep the FC up while away (one week). What do you recommend?
    phil_d
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

My suggestion would be to bump it up to 30. The pucks you use on vacation will add a bit more to it and by the time you get back it should be close to 40.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Good advice so far. I would just add, if you have a cover or solar blanket put it on and it will keep you from losing FC to sunlight. With my solar blanket on my FC loss is <0.5ppm/day.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator