Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy PH Color Readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Crazy PH Color Readings

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help and support from Foreclosure House in NJ. It was a long road laden with mines but we made it through to "The Clear Side"!
    See the before and after below.
    I now have the following readings:
    FC; 7.0
    CC: 0.5
    TA; 150
    CH; 40
    PH; ?
    I have the Tayor K-2006 test kit and when I test for PH the color of the tinted water does not match any of the colors on the tube. It is a brighter orange. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 by 32 in ground vinyl, Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, 1 3/4hp Sta-Rite Duraglass pump, Sta-Rite heater (broke), Taylor K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Crazy PH Color Readings

Match the shading, not the intensity. Orange sounds like somewhat lower pH.

yellow- 6.8 and lower
    yellow orange- 7.0
    orange- 7.2
    orange red- 7.4-7.5
    red- 7.6-7.8
    red violet- 8.0
    violet- 8.2 and higher
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Crazy PH Color Readings

I can think of two things.

One, the backgound is not white. My tan cinderblock fence as the backdrop tends to shift the colors orange, whereas the sky will shift things to the pink.

Two, pH could be below the lowest number on the scale. With your kit, you're in luck. Add a couple drops of the base demand reagent, and see if the color changes to something on the scale. If it does, you know you're below that number.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!