Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pay for cake toper style step install???

1. Back To Top    #1

Pay for cake toper style step install???

I was reviewing the estimate from my pool installer, and he added $50 for installing my steps (The Step II by Access). It seems to me that this should be an easy install, and shouldn't take much longer that the ladder install (that he wouldn't have charged for if we had gone that way). Am I missing something? For $50, I am thinking I will tell him to just leave the steps in the box and I will do it after he is done with the rest. Is this install really as easy as I am imagining?
    32x16 DoughBoy Autumn Breeze with partial bury, 7' deep end, happy bottom, and Access wedding cake steps.
    Pentair DE FNS Plus 48 with Pentair Challenger 1.5 hp.
    Order placed 6/13/10. Excavation started 6/15. First swim 6/18. Two thumbs up for DoughBoy, Crown Pools, and Mendez Pools and Decks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pay for cake toper style step install???

There are a couple of differences if done correctly. Cake steps have a bit more assembly than common steps and they have weights that have to be filled and hung or placed. They're also heavier and usually require more people to set in the pool than ladders do. However, if you want to save the $50 there's nothing about them that you can't do yourself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks... I asked the dealer about it and he agreed that it was easy enough to do, so I am doing it myself.
    32x16 DoughBoy Autumn Breeze with partial bury, 7' deep end, happy bottom, and Access wedding cake steps.
    Order placed 6/13/10. Excavation started 6/15. First swim 6/18. Two thumbs up for DoughBoy, Crown Pools, and Mendez Pools and Decks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a quick follow-up... I did this myself, and it was easy enough. That said, I wish I wasn't such a cheap ******* and had just paid the $50. It was no fun spending a couple hours in the Texas sun working on the steps the first day the pool was ready for swimming. I also ended up spending $15 to get 2 5 gallon buckets with lids and 2 bags of quickrete to weight the steps down, so I really only saved $35.

5. Back To Top    #5

How much bleach will that $35 buy you though?
    18' x 4' intex pool, 7600 gallons, 2500 GPH intex pump with sand filter...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BamaPool
    How much bleach will that $35 buy you though?
    I guess that is one way to look at it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh yeah BTW Nice pool now it is time to party...
    18' x 4' intex pool, 7600 gallons, 2500 GPH intex pump with sand filter...