Anthony Pool Light - Replace bulb with color splash LED?

bdjou

Apr 19, 2010
I have a 40+ year old anthony pool with an obsolete pool light. I was thinking about changing the bulb to one of those multi-color LED bulbs. I did some research on the bulbs and they are available in 120v or 12v version. Has anyone tried the 12V bulb with the OLD pool light wiring? I would obviously reroute the wire in the j-box to a 12v transformer instead of 120v. I was thinking it would be safer since I don't have to worry about moisture getting inside the lamp and tripping the gfci. Any thoughts on this idea?

I am planning on replastering the pool in the next few weeks so I always have the option of changing out the light niche, but would rather spend the money on replacing the copper lines and replacing the obsolete anthony skimmer.

Which old wire are you reusing? You should use the wire attached to the lamp to connect all the way to the transformer. Where is your old J-box located? The old floor/deck mounted boxes no longer meet code and are, in fact, somewhat dangerous. . It is possible that the 120V feed may not be large enough for the new 12V lamp. Wire is sized according to amperage, and a 12V circuit will draw ten times the amps of a 120V circuit for the same wattage lamp. However, LED use fewer watts so you may be OK on this point, but I would want to be sure.

The power consumption is 35.3 Watts for the pool light and 23W for the Spa light.

35.3W is approx 3 Amps @ 12V. The NEC chart rates 18 gauge for 14 amps max. Check your existing wire size. Chances are it will not be an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.