Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Anthony Pool Light - Replace bulb with color splash LED?

Anthony Pool Light - Replace bulb with color splash LED?

I have a 40+ year old anthony pool with an obsolete pool light. I was thinking about changing the bulb to one of those multi-color LED bulbs. I did some research on the bulbs and they are available in 120v or 12v version. Has anyone tried the 12V bulb with the OLD pool light wiring? I would obviously reroute the wire in the j-box to a 12v transformer instead of 120v. I was thinking it would be safer since I don't have to worry about moisture getting inside the lamp and tripping the gfci. Any thoughts on this idea?

I am planning on replastering the pool in the next few weeks so I always have the option of changing out the light niche, but would rather spend the money on replacing the copper lines and replacing the obsolete anthony skimmer.
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

Re: Anthony Pool Light - Replace bulb with color splash LED?

I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I'm no electrician! Wire is wire, right
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Of course you'll get a safer pool using 12v power, I would do it just for it.
    33x15 (17000 gallons) feet http://www.flickr.com/photos/4312999...7622362656171/
    Magiline Magiclassic http://www.swimming-pools-magiline.com/
    SWG Compu-Pool CPSC-36 http://www.compupool.com.au/product/..._cleaning.html
    PH Control through Muriatic Acid

Which old wire are you reusing? You should use the wire attached to the lamp to connect all the way to the transformer. Where is your old J-box located? The old floor/deck mounted boxes no longer meet code and are, in fact, somewhat dangerous. . It is possible that the 120V feed may not be large enough for the new 12V lamp. Wire is sized according to amperage, and a 12V circuit will draw ten times the amps of a 120V circuit for the same wattage lamp. However, LED use fewer watts so you may be OK on this point, but I would want to be sure.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

The power consumption is 35.3 Watts for the pool light and 23W for the Spa light.

35.3W is approx 3 Amps @ 12V. The NEC chart rates 18 gauge for 14 amps max. Check your existing wire size. Chances are it will not be an issue.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: 1.5 HP Super Pump w/ 1.5 EcoTech VS Motor
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820