Too much sand in filter????

If you have too much sand, the sand bed will be above the point where the tank starts to taper. This means the filter will behave like a smaller filter, requiring more frequent backwashing and causing higher resistance to flow. It will still filter. If it was high enough, you could see sand making its way into the returns.

Thanks JohnT....I do think the sand level is about at that point. We just replaced the sand about a week ago and were told to put that much....we were not totally sure what size our filter was when at the pool store, purchasing the sand. I do know that we put in 250 lbs and I just saw in my "In the swim" mail/circular that a 18" sand filter is used for up to 16,800 gallon pool size...which leads me to believe mine is a 18" because it has 13,500 gallons.....Anyway, just curious if this would affect being able to filter out the green??? However, my pressure gauge rarely ever increases to indicated a backwash...

Anyway, just curious if this would affect being able to filter out the green???
Filters of any kind, with or without too much sand, will not filter green algae from your water. YOu need chlorine in your pool if your water is green. Read Pool School, especially the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". That'll give you an idea of the function of chlorine.

I had used about 28 lbs of powder shock and in the past 2 days 5-96oz jugs of 6% bleach...it is just not killing it or filtering it out for some reason
You are not properly shocking your pool. It is a process.

Read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and I bet you'll end up with crystal clear water.

5 96 oz jugs of 6% probably won't get your chlorine to shock level even once, depending on your CYA level, and you would probably go through 20 or so jugs of that size in a day to stay at shock level with a green pool. You could potentially use up all 5 jugs of that bleach in an hour.

Your powdered shock would maybe have let you maintain shock level for 2 weeks at most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.