Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much sand in filter????

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much sand in filter????

Can you have too much sand in a sand filter??? I have, I believe an 18" Hayward Sand filter system with a 1 hp pump used for a 24 round above ground pool/13,500 gallons. If so, could this cause it not to filter properly???
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much sand in filter????

If you have too much sand, the sand bed will be above the point where the tank starts to taper. This means the filter will behave like a smaller filter, requiring more frequent backwashing and causing higher resistance to flow. It will still filter. If it was high enough, you could see sand making its way into the returns.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JohnT....I do think the sand level is about at that point. We just replaced the sand about a week ago and were told to put that much....we were not totally sure what size our filter was when at the pool store, purchasing the sand. I do know that we put in 250 lbs and I just saw in my "In the swim" mail/circular that a 18" sand filter is used for up to 16,800 gallon pool size...which leads me to believe mine is a 18" because it has 13,500 gallons.....Anyway, just curious if this would affect being able to filter out the green??? However, my pressure gauge rarely ever increases to indicated a backwash...
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Anyway, just curious if this would affect being able to filter out the green???
    Filters of any kind, with or without too much sand, will not filter green algae from your water. YOu need chlorine in your pool if your water is green. Read Pool School, especially the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". That'll give you an idea of the function of chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you duraleigh.....but over the course of a month or so...I had used about 28 lbs of powder shock and in the past 2 days 5-96oz jugs of 6% bleach...it is just not killing it or filtering it out for some reason

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I had used about 28 lbs of powder shock and in the past 2 days 5-96oz jugs of 6% bleach...it is just not killing it or filtering it out for some reason
    You are not properly shocking your pool. It is a process.

Read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and I bet you'll end up with crystal clear water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

duraleigh: I am following the "process"....but I still think I have too much sand in our filter which, as above, was informed it will lessen the filter power...I have read every detail of "pool school"...many times...so I guess we will see.

8. Back To Top    #8

5 96 oz jugs of 6% probably won't get your chlorine to shock level even once, depending on your CYA level, and you would probably go through 20 or so jugs of that size in a day to stay at shock level with a green pool. You could potentially use up all 5 jugs of that bleach in an hour.

Your powdered shock would maybe have let you maintain shock level for 2 weeks at most.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat