Neighbor just got a new pool..

Apr 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have been using the BBB method for approximately two seasons and pretty much have a good idea of what needs to be done. My neigbors just got a new pool. It has a SWG but on the advise from the "pool professionals" at the pool store they were advised to add stain remover and metal remover (hard water remover) to the pool with the SWG off after the pool started to turn green. They were also adised not to run the SWG for 24hours... :?: :?: :?:

Late this afternoon I went to take a look at the pool and it had the signs of algae growth all over it. It was a nice blueish to greenish tint. We tested the water FC 0. PH 7.2 CYA 0. So, basically new water, nothing has been added but salt, approx. 2600PPM. The pool is 18700 gallons.

On my suggestion I had them add 4 jugs of 6% bleach to shock. I ran the pool calc and the results were the FC was raised to 13PPM. I know this is a high shock level. How long should it take for the chlorine to dissipate on a hot 90+ degree day and sun? I know they want to swim pretty soon.

I'm new, but from everything I've read here..........they can jump in as soon as it drops below the chlorine shock value. Just shocked mine overnite (chlorine pool) and enjoyed it this afternoon. My FC was still 13 btw.

93mastercraft said:
neigbors just got a new pool. It has a SWG but on the advise from the "pool professionals" at the pool store they were advised to add stain remover and metal remover (hard water remover) to the pool with the SWG off after the pool started to turn green. They were also adised not to run the SWG for 24hours... :?: :?: :?:

Late this afternoon I went to take a look at the pool and it had the signs of algae growth all over it. It was a nice blueish to greenish tint. We tested the water FC 0. PH 7.2 CYA 0. So, basically new water, nothing has been added but salt, approx. 2600PPM. The pool is 18700 gallons.

On my suggestion I had them add 4 jugs of 6% bleach to shock. I ran the pool calc and the results were the FC was raised to 13PPM. I know this is a high shock level. How long should it take for the chlorine to dissipate on a hot 90+ degree day and sun? I know they want to swim pretty soon.
All of the chlorine, if there is any, will be gone in a matter of hours on the days we've been having in NC.
CYA is required for every SWG that I know of.

I'd hit it with CYA (Wal-Mart or pool store), usually 70-90 for SWG pools, and BLEACH. The filter needs to be running 24x7 and don't bother to run the SWG until the pool is shocked, and the chemical levels stabilized.
The SWG can't do the shocking; Bleach (chlorine only) or even Di-Chlor to add both CYA and chlorine.

Don't add the stain remover or metal remover to the water until/unless it's necessary.

READ POOL SCHOOL and have them read them too.

Terry in NC :cool:

Terry,

Thanks, I am going to pass the info along. They are good friends of ours and I hope I didn't lead them down the wrong path. I knew what had to be done. But I know they are somewhat confused right now. I was just hoping I could help. Thanks for the reply. I am going to pass along the information. I made them aware of this site.

They have the stabilizer, but again was advised by the pool store not too add it yet. I was surprised the "pool professionals" led them down the road they did. It did not make much sense to me.

93mastercraft said:

Chlorine will disappear FAST if there's algae and sun. Like hours. For swimming, I'd wait until CC is down below .5 and the water is clear. Nobody wants an ear or bladder infection...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.