Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying a SWG for Doughboy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying a SWG for Doughboy pool

I am looking at buying the Intex Model 56601E. We have a 24 foot Doughboy round pool which has a 6 foot deep middle (around 16,000 gallons). Will this work hooking in after our Hayward 40 GPM sand filter? We have 1.5" diameter hoses. Will it produce enough chlorine?
    I think I must be wrong in my calculation for the pool. Reading here I need 25# salt per 1000 gallons = 400 pounds?
    My Culligan man said he could supply the salt.

or should I get the 54601E with copper ionization?
    ugh... help.

Thanks for any assistance. It is much appreciated.
    Sunspotmom
    Hayward sand filter 40 gpm

Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying a SWG for Doughboy pool

I know zero about SWG.
    I do know that you don't want to introduce copper into the pool if you don't have to. It's what turns blonde hair green among other issues.

Someone will be along to answer the rest of your questions. :P
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response.
    One question generates sooooo many more.
    How do I start it up? Dump the salt around the edges? Our pool has a bottom (middle) drain that we use to filter normally. Should I filter through the skimmer instead? so no lumps of salt get stuck in the middle?

Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, will I be able to just run the filter without having the swg turned on? I'm assuming that I can.

Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

You can run the filter without running the SWG. The SWG has it's own timer, so that you can control how much it runs.

Adding salt is easy, pour the salt in around the edges of the pool, leave the pump running, after 30 minutes brush any salt that is left around to help it dissolve. Do not turn on the SWG for 24 hours after adding salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks very much. I have ordered the SWG and am ordering the TF100XL test kit and the salt strips. I will probably get the salt from Culligan man, although I'm planning a trip to Wally World and will see if they have it. I plan to stock up on BBB. I will probably open a post in another thread - swamp water.

Illinois