Solar chlor and chlorease

Jun 12, 2010
I'm getting ready to convert to a SWG. I almost went for the cell that connects to my plumbing but didn't want to run the pool pump just to create salt. I found that there is solar chlor (has buint in solar generator and can create chlorine around the clock and independent of my pool equipment. And then there's chlorease. Chlorease says it's for above ground pool but will service 18,000 gallons. I have a 17,000 gallon inground pool. My question is will the solar chlor really get enough power from the sun to generate chlorine for my pool? And for the chlorease (which runs via 110v GFI), i'm not worried about power, but will it work for inground pool? I'm assuming the only difference between inground and above ground water is the pool cost. Other than that, what's the difference? Please help.

Attachments

• solar chlor.jpg
    solar chlor.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 333
  • chlorease.jpg
    chlorease.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 332
I haven't heard much about the solar chlor, but none of it was good.

The Chlorease is a very basic unit. It works, but can be prone to calcium scaling. It doesn't meet code requierments for an in-ground pool in most area (code requirements vary).

Re, the SolarChlor, in theory it sounds great!
Website - http://solarchlor.com/index.htm
You can buy it at Sams Club -http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod862876&searchTerm=solarchlor
where there are a couple of good reviews. If I did my math right, it produces 0.5 oz of chlorine gas/hour (7.5 oz 6% bleach) in peak sunlight. I'd guess that this -
Q: What is the Warranty?

A: SolarChlor comes with a 3 yr. limited warranty.

Q. How long do the cell plates last?

A: The cell plates never have to be replaced and will last as long as the unit will.
means that it will last 3 years, or they will give you a % discount on a new one if/when it dies before that. They also have a deck mount system coming they claim will treat up to 30k.

I must admit that I hope that it works as advertised. Think of all the power that could be saved ( and pollution prevented!) if we could all shut off the pump for a couple of hours a day!

The Solar Chlor is a mixed SWG and "mineral" system. That means it releases metals into the water (which we don't ever recommend). They don't say exactly but from what I can make out it produces less chlorine than a typical SWG (comparing based on the recommended pool size).

The Sam's Club listing is easier to understand then the OEM page, they say -
Also included is an optional mineral purifier that works 24/7 providing crystal clear water and lasts up to 8 years
SolarChlor comes with adjustable settings for both the chlorine and mineral output and is recommended up to 15,000 gallons for optimal savings in energy and chemical costs

If the mineral purifier can be turned off (or removed) that would be nice. There is no owners manual on either site, which is a shame, and they obfuscate the chlorine production capacity and include "green" and "free" and "chemical" marketing mumbo-jumbo enough to make me question whether the unit actually works. Of course, so do most of the other chlorine generator OEMs! At $400 for a 15k pool, it is over twice as expensive as the "old" Intex 8110 and produces less chlorine then the "new" Intex CS8110, which makes half as much as the "old" and also added a copper ionizer. The CS8110 is advertised at $149 at my local Rural King stores today.
Much more work to use an in-line unit though, being able to just plop this thing in the water and not mess with cutting pipes and running wires will be appealing to most pool owners.

They are based in Texas, and most of the testimonials come from Texas, anybody from Texas here care to comment on these?

I just purchased one of these for my ~10k IG pool. The unit just went into the pool today, so I'll have to post back in a week or so with further results. I'm in the Phoenix area, and the pool water is at 92 degrees right now, which seems to require more chlorine than normal...so I'm assuming I'll have to add a bit to keep the levels up. Who knows....fortunately, if it doesn't work well, I'm sure Sams Club will take it back :) More to come.....

leibin said:
I just purchased one of these for my ~10k IG pool. The unit just went into the pool today, so I'll have to post back in a week or so with further results. I'm in the Phoenix area, and the pool water is at 92 degrees right now, which seems to require more chlorine than normal...so I'm assuming I'll have to add a bit to keep the levels up. Who knows....fortunately, if it doesn't work well, I'm sure Sams Club will take it back :) More to come.....

Hello Leibin...any updates on your system (Solar or Ease?)

Thanks...Bo

My bad - I purchased the Solar Chlor unit. I tried it for about a week in my 10k gallon IG pool, which is 2/3 of the maximum rating of 15k for the unit. In all honesty, the unit is heading back to Sam's Club for a refund tomorrow morning. I just finished installing a new Compupool CPSC36 unit a few hours ago. Wish I would have just gone that route in the first place, but I was trying to save a couple hundred ;) Anyhow, while trying to test the solar unit for a week, I found that I needed to add liquid chlorine almost everyday - my readings were almost zero or were zero for chlorine during my daily checks. The unit works, and by that I mean that you can see chlorine gas emitting from the base of the unit - it's just no where near enough. Now, granted, my pool is hovering around 90 and the sun is beating it all day with 110 degree weather - but, for $400 the unit should be able to keep pace.

After installing the Compupool (chose because of cost - ebay for about 630 delivered, and due to mostly positive feedback on this forum) which has the clear see-through housing, I can see the same chlorine gas being generated at a rate of 10 or 20 times (rough estimate) the SolarChlor output with the system set at 60% output.

In summary - it MIGHT work for a really small AG pool in cooler climates, but for a few hundred more, and a few hours of work, I would definitely install a permanent solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an additional thought - with any new SWG you want to boost the FC up to the target level with liquid chlorine, then turn the unit on, and allow it to maintain. Not sure if you did that or not.... SWGs can't raise the FC up fast enough, especially in the heat of the summer, with normal run times, and if there is a chance something organic is lurking it simply can't keep up. Not saying that is the case with your experience, but just a thought.

Enjoy your new system! :)

Thanks for the info frustrated.....I did start of with a liquid chlorine boost, up to about 7ppm (my cya is a little on the high side), but beginning with day 2 and on, the chlorine level was always low / zero. I used the liquid chlorine as if I did not have a swg! Anyway, thanks for the info, and we do hope to enjoy the new system!

Take care ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.