INSTALLING LIQUIDATOR

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just received the liquidator and am reading all i can find on installation. Am i correct that the check valves are not needed if the liquidator is above pool water level? If so i can do without them as my pump is above water level. I will convert to 3/8 in. upgrade when i install it.I found a pipe plug on the bottom of the in line chloronator but i do not believe it will give enough pressure. I will use the pump drain plug for one connection and I have a perfect place just after the filter to drill and tap.
I'm a little "leary" on drilling and tapping my pipe, can someone talk me thru the process and list bit and tap sizes... or does anyone know if the clamp assembly with tube adaptor that comes with the liquidator is available in 3/8 inch size.
many thanks for the help!

Go boldly, Joel, and don't be afraid :super: You can do this, and you will be glad you did!

IIRC, the drill size is 3/8" (I can go look at one and double check, if you don't have the instructions handy). The clamp assembly that comes with the unit makes it very easy to install, and is leak free (you can use them for the upgrade kit later, as the inner hole is plenty big and does not need to be changed). There is no tapping needed if you use this method; just drill the hole, insert the fitting and tighten the clamp!

Yes, put the check valves in. You'll be changing them out later when you do the upgrade, but put them both in.

Let us know how easy it was when you are done :cheers:

If a the plug on the chlorinator puts out any pressure at all it's probably enough to keep the LQ full. I'd start by hooking the "In" line there. The drain plug on the bottom of the pump volute housing is a good place to hook the "Out" line. The best part is you don't have to drill the pipes.

If the pump and LQ tank is above the water level I'd install a check valve in the "In" line but it's optional in the "Out" line. It works just the opposite if the LQ is below the water level (i.e. AGP).

If you haven't already bought the upgrade parts I suggest looking at the option Burce & Sal offer as it's easier to install and you use the original tubing.

You'll be glad you did the upgrade once you do it.

THANKS guys, I talked to Bruce earlier in the day. Think i'll wait for the upgrade from him. I have the parts for the orginal upgrade but they're still boxed up and unused. I'll try hooking up to the pipe plug in the chlorinator. If it doesn't supply enough water, I dont worry about drilling the pipe for the clamp supplied with the liquidator.
This is my first full season with a pool as it was finished the last of July '09. With the help of this great site i'm getting started the right way.

I plan on installing my LQ this weekend (got mine from Pool Services Technologies as well), and plan on using the pump drain as the OUT line like you, but I have a drain plug on the heater that should work as an IN line. This way I don't have to drill any holes, you might want to check for a drain plug on your heater if you have one (of course you will need an extra Male Adapter Nylon Fitting 3/8" x 1/4" to screw into the heater drain plug).

These look really impressive bits of equipment.

Does anybody know of supplier in Europe for these or in the US who will ship to Europe. I emailed Hasa a few days ago and no reply.

The upgrade kits, are they also manufactored by Hasa or by somebody else.

Thanks for any help guys.

joel0711 said:
freelancer-- i dont know about their mailing procedures but mail simicrintz (see above message).. sal and bruce has been the greatest at helping with my problems and they sell the upgrade also,, you wont go wrong with them...

Thanks Joel,

I have just gone to their website and have emailed them there.. It appears that they do ship some items internationally. Remains to be seen if they ship these units. Fingers crossed because something like this would certainly alliviate my constant PH rises and would certainly help in balancing my pools.

Jeeze, you Americans have all the good gear.

For you guys who have these units installed I have a question.

Obviously given the size of the bin for the Liquidator if I could get just the parts sent to me and purchased a plastic bin here would that work or is the bin of special design and needed to complete the system.. I'm just thinking if I ordered a lot of these units it's going to be a rather large load volume wise whereas if I got all the workings and put them in a bin from here I could see rather a large cost saving.

The container is a square bin with a loose fitting top. Other than that it's nothing special. The parts could be installed in any flat sided tank. Tamco makes some square tanks that might be available in your area.

Bama Rambler said:
The container is a square bin with a loose fitting top. Other than that it's nothing special. The parts could be installed in any flat sided tank. Tamco makes some square tanks that might be available in your area.
Thanks very much for the reply Bama Rambler, just the reply I was looking for as well :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Bama Rambler,

Do you think that something like this would work.. It has square sides but I'm thinking because it has wheels it would be much easier to disconect the tubes and wheel it outside for the regular cleaning of the sediment from the bottom. These are 100 litre units given that I intend to use them on large pools with about 300,000 litres of water in?

http://www.manutan.es/contenedor-de-100 ... 2200EQ01TS

[quote="Freelancer]Jeeze, you Americans have all the good gear.
:scratch: BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, IKEA, SAP :blah: and you're impressed by a plastic box designed to hold bleach :shock:

Don't get me wrong, the liquidator is a great invention, but the grass is always greener on the other side :cheers:

On a serious note...if you are experiencing frequent PH rise, try lowering TA to 60-70 range.

dmanb2b said:
[quote="Freelancer]Jeeze, you Americans have all the good gear.
:scratch: BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, IKEA, SAP :blah: and you're impressed by a plastic box designed to hold bleach :shock:

Don't get me wrong, the liquidator is a great invention, but the grass is always greener on the other side :cheers:

On a serious note...if you are experiencing frequent PH rise, try lowering TA to 60-70 range.
[/quote][/quote]

A car is a car is a car to me.. IKEA, mmm never spent a penny there, SAP, well you got me there, have no idea what SAP is. Having extensively travelled the world many times over when you look at what is available in America compared to the rest of the world the grass is not only greener but there is no grass on our side of the fence. As this is pool forum let me give you a few examples, Taylor test kit, not available to purchase in Europe, Borax, you can buy it at pretty much any store, I have to go to a large chemical company in another country to buy mine, The Circulator, not available to purchase in Europe, LQ not available to buy in Europe. Anything that is available in Europe to buy you can buy in America pretty much and if you can't it's because you've got something similiar or better. Any products mentioned in this forum you guys can pretty much lay your hands on in a few days if your local store does not stock it. It takes me a few days just to locate a place that will ship it to me if at all after extensive communications.

Regarding the high PH, yes your advice is good and you are not the first to suggest this. Only problem is if I have constant high PH problems in my pools and believe me I do, what would I use to deal with the constant rises? Acid? What effect is constant treatment of acid going to have on my TA? Yup it's going to be low, very low and it is on all my pools.. Way too low in fact. Unfortunatley it appears the lye they use in our chlorine is somewhat more alkiline that what you guys use so constant use of liquid chlorine is always going to be a battle with high PH for me so anything I can lay my hands on to allieviate this problem is going to be a great help to me.

I wasn't trying to be smart with you, so sorry if you took my post the wrong way. On the other hand, since this is a pool forum, you need to clarify your pool maintenance related statements.

On your acid question...Muratic Acid, if available in europe, will lower TA and PH, then you aerate to raise PH without affecting your TA (process yields no net change in PH, but a reduction in TA)...I think you understand that, but I do not understand your post above if you do. There are many here with SWGs, waterfalls, spillover spas that contribute a great deal to PH rise and by lowering TA to 60-70 can have a great impact on reducing your acid demand.

Second, you make the statement "...so constant use of liquid chlorine is always going to be a battle with high PH for me so anything I can lay my hands on to allieviate this problem is going to be a great help to me."...can you help me understand why you feel a liquidator is going to help you solve this issue? Are you saying the additives in european liquid chlorine will cause your TA to rise? All the liquidator does is automatically dose liquid chlorine.

dmanb2b said:
I wasn't trying to be smart with you, so sorry if you took my post the wrong way. On the other hand, since this is a pool forum, you need to clarify your pool maintenance related statements.

On your acid question...Muratic Acid, if available in europe, will lower TA and PH, then you aerate to raise PH without affecting your TA (process yields no net change in PH, but a reduction in TA)...I think you understand that, but I do not understand your post above if you do. There are many here with SWGs, waterfalls, spillover spas that contribute a great deal to PH rise and by lowering TA to 60-70 can have a great impact on reducing your acid demand.

Second, you make the statement "...so constant use of liquid chlorine is always going to be a battle with high PH for me so anything I can lay my hands on to allieviate this problem is going to be a great help to me."...can you help me understand why you feel a liquidator is going to help you solve this issue? Are you saying the additives in european liquid chlorine will cause your TA to rise? All the liquidator does is automatically dose liquid chlorine.

Dmanb2b,

I didn't actually take your post the wrong way I was trying to demonstrate to you that your statement was shall we say a little out. America is not called the land of plenty for nothing :)

Regarding the acid question as already stated, my TA is in the 30 -50 range in nearly all my pools purely due to the amount of acid that I use to keep the PH in check. I actually need to raise my TA but cannot do so because adding any sodium bicarb will further enhance my already high PH's.

Finally addressing your final point of why I think this unit will aid my PH problem, if you read the manual which comes with the liquidator it states, and I quote "Acid demand for pH control will decrease by 30% or more". I am assuming this is because of an earlier statement in the manual "Inert mineral salts and contaminates will fall out of solution into the bottom of THE LIQUIDATOR® and slowly build up as liquid pool chlorine is dispensed by the unit".

Now a 30% decrease on the amount of Acid I use is a sizeable decrease indeed and if I'm using less acid then that can only be for one reason, my PH is not rising as much.

got it...thanks for the info on the Liquidator, and I'm glad to learn something new. :hammer:

If you are fairly confident in your TA readings, you may actually find that raising your TA to 60-70 or so, may help stabilize things from a PH perspective. With TA below 50, ph can yet again become pretty unstable and it's not necessarily that it will tend drop with low TA.

The only other thing I can think of is that if you end up having difficulty trying to source liquidator parts, perhaps you can find a local supplier of sodium hypochlorite for pools, or do they also include the "adders" you previously mentioned?

dmanb2b,

Thanks for the advice on my TA/PH but I'll not address that particular problem again on this thread due to the subject matter. Suffice to say I'll look into what you say but with constant PH's around the 7.8 mark it leaves me little scope to play with raising my TA. I'll give it a go on one pool and see what happens.

As for the Liquidator, Sal who sells these units has kindly taken an order for a unit and an order has been placed. I look forward to testing one of these. The liquid I use is 16% sodium Hypochlorite for pools supplied direct from the manufactur in 20 litre drums. They are heavy when you have to dose over half a dozen comunal pools in one day. Not a single pool has an automatic doser.. Which is why I've been on the look out for one for so long.. I almost bought a CP33 at nearly twice the cost..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.